You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Soft Proof adjustment lists deleted icc profiles

Hi all,

I'm on a Windows 10, 64-bit machine and running Version 1.7.3.481 of Affinity Photo.

The "Proof Profile" list in the Soft Proof adjustment continues to list icc files that have been deleted from C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.

Here's a screen grab:

0faw9SI.jpg

You'll see that there is only one "PICTO_Lambda (...)" file in the color folder (...Satine_5.icc) in Windows Explorer, but there are three in the Proof Profile list in the Soft Proof adjustment (...Brillant_3.icc, ...Satine_3.icc and Satine_5.ICC (the extension presenting oddly in capital letters), this latter being the one in the color folder).

Indeed, I had manually deleted the ..Brillant_3.icc, and ...Satine_3.icc profiles from the color folder because they were outdated.

But, Affinity keeps showing them to me, which creates quite a bit of confusion.

Is there a way to get Affinity to update the Proof Profile list to what is actually in the color folder?

Thanks a million and happy retouching to all!

Hi Callum,

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the deleted files stay in the Proof Profile list, even after a restart of Affinity and for that matter after a restart of the computer.

I deleted the out of date icc files months ago.

Any ideas?

PS: For that matter, I can even apply the deleted icc files, i.e., when I click on them, the image will change in the window, as images do when you apply an icc file. So, it's as if Affinity has internalized the icc data...

4 hours ago, Kerwin said:

I deleted the out of date icc files months ago.

Any ideas?

Had you, by any chance, also added them directly to Photo via File > Import ICC Profile... at some point?

If so, and if you purchased Photo directly from Serif, you would find the files in %Appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\profiles

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, Kerwin. Hope that explains it :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi again Walt,

To get back to you as promised, the only thing in the "Profiles" folder at  C:\Users\(me)\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\profiles was an empty text file named "blacklist.txt"

I did, just to make sure I was in the right place, use the "File>Import ICC Profile..." function in Affinity to import a file, and indeed it showed up there.

Also, at  C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Resources\ there is a "ICC" folder, but it contains only the default iccs delivered with Affinity (AdobeRGB1998.icc and co.).

I also looked at C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0, but there are only two files therein: "LensProfiles" and "Plugins".

I didn't see any other promising folder names.

By the way, I did download Affinity directly from the website.

So the mystery remains intact at least for the moment.

Any other ideas from you or others are welcome!

• 1 year later...

Hi to all,

A post to relaunch this subject.

I just went through another round of cleaning out C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color and the Affinity Photo Soft Proof adjustment continues to list long-deleted icc files.

Everything in the preceding exchanges continues to be true except for being on AP version 1.10.4.1198 now.

The "long-deleted" above is important: In the \color folder, there were many icc files downloaded for various printers and papers. After cleaning out the folder, most disappeared from the Soft Proof adjustment's Proof Profile list, but there remains a handful of them that continue to be listed, despite the fact that they no longer exist anywhere on my computer, as best as I can determine.

So again, if anyone has an idea as to how to eliminate these "ghosts" from the Soft Proof adjustment's Proof Profile list, I'm all ears.

And, should this thread be sent over to whoever as a bug report?

Thanks and happy shooting to all.

• 1 year later...

Hi to all,

One last "Hail Mary" before I report this as a bug.

Please read the above posts, especially the first one dated February 4, 2020 and the one dated January 28, 2022. The ones in between are other members trying to help (thanks again!), but to no avail. Most notably, I can find no AP folder (and I think I've been through them all) in which these "ghost" ICC profiles can be found.

I still have this problem, even though I am now in Affinity Photo 2 (version 2.2.1 as of this writing). Perhaps the fact that this problem continues to exist even after having updated from AP1 to AP2 might set off some bells for someone?

Note that I have bumped this over to the Version 2 Affinity on Desktop Questions forum.

Thanks in advance!