You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lock brush strokes to Isometric angles

I would love a feature that would lock brush strokes to Isometric angles, similar to how Procreate does this.

A possible way this would work is:

When the a grid is turned on and the Shift key is being held, align strokes to the grid angles. So if the isometric grid or some other grid is turned on, whatever those angles happen to be, the stroke would lock on to the closest angle of the initial direction.

Happy to provide additional clarification if needed.

Thanks!

To be clear, what you're asking for is that the shift key doesn't only lock to horizontal or vertical, but also can lock to 45 degree increments, correct? Meaning that, after you start moving your mouse, you cannot exit out of the determined initial direction. 

If this is what you're suggesting, then I think this is a great idea.

Also, I will add that there should be a preview line when you hold shift before clicking in order to make a line.

@HuniSenpai I could see that being helpful but it's not exactly what I'm saying. 

First, an Isometric grid would be 30° angles, not 45°.

Secondly, it seems like it would be most flexible if it aligned to the grid angles that you set under View > Grid and Axis Manager. Under the default set up, this would lock your brush at 0° and 90°, and maybe 45° could be added here as well. But if you set up an advanced grid, like an isometric grid, it would lock to those custom angles.

Another option would be to add a checkbox that says "Lock brush to grid angles" and leave the shift functionality as is.

2 minutes ago, gleake said:

@HuniSenpai I could see that being helpful but it's not exactly what I'm saying. 

First, an Isometric grid would be 30° angles, not 45°.

Secondly, it seems like it would be most flexible if it aligned to the grid angles that you set under View > Grid and Axis Manager. Under the default set up, this would lock your brush at 0° and 90°, and maybe 45° could be added here as well. But if you set up an advanced grid, like an isometric grid, it would lock to those custom angles.

Another option would be to add a checkbox that says "Lock brush to grid angles" and leave the shift functionality as is.

I think 45 degree increments should be turned on by default (I believe that this would an incredibly useful feature :)! ), and then it should change to the degree of the grid when the grid is enabled. This changing over to 30/other degree should be able to be disabled in the settings:

"Snap to custom grid angle on: ☑"

Adding a "lock brush to grid angles" would be cool, although the brush panel is just about out of space as it is. So this'll have to be added in settings. 

29 minutes ago, HuniSenpai said:

I think 45 degree increments should be turned on by default (I believe that this would an incredibly useful feature :)! ), and then it should change to the degree of the grid when the grid is enabled. This changing over to 30/other degree should be able to be disabled in the settings:

"Snap to custom grid angle on: ☑"

Adding a "lock brush to grid angles" would be cool, although the brush panel is just about out of space as it is. So this'll have to be added in settings. 

That makes sense too. However it's implemented, I think the functionality would be very useful to a lot of people.