You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OK.  I give up.  How to create a rectangle shape on a layer; actually, 3 different layers with a different colored rectangle on each layer.  I've tried to add pixel layer then choose the Rectangle Tool. 

(1)  1st problem is that the rectangle doesn't want to stop blinking even after I press Enter.

(2)  Then if I manage to get 2 layers each with a different colored rectangle, Affinity won't let me add a 3rd layer directly above the 2nd   It creates 3rd layer but inserts  blank Pixel Layer between 2nd & 3rd.

Wanted my Affinity screen to look like the one in my attachment so could follow along.

Rectangle Layers.docx

1 hour ago, Robin L. said:

How to create a rectangle shape on a layer ...

Just draw them out with the Rectangle Tool. There is no need to create pixel or any other layers first. By default, the Rectangle Tool creates the layer for the rectangle automatically.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The instructions given by R C-R above are correct - see attached GIF - but I’m wondering what you mean by “the rectangle doesn't want to stop blinking”. Are you using the Rectangular Marquee Tool (dashed rectangle icon) instead of the Rectangle Tool (blue filled icon), or something else? I’m also curious as to why you add “even after I press Enter” as neither of those tools require you to press ENTER. Would you be able to supply a video (or similar) showing what you are doing?

You don’t say which Affinity application you are using but this tutorial https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301807697/ might be useful as most of the techniques shown should work in all of them (may be some Designer-only stuff in there but the basics should be covered).

rectangles.gif

Edited by GarryP
Added GIF.

39 minutes ago, GarryP said:

... but I’m wondering what you mean by “the rectangle doesn't want to stop blinking”. Are you using the Rectangular Marquee Tool (dashed rectangle icon) instead of the Rectangle Tool (blue filled icon) ...

I suspect you are right & the OP is using one of the selection tools (marquee, freehand selection, whatever) instead of the Rectangle Tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yeah, I thought “blinking” might refer to the ‘marching ants’ but I wasn’t sure.
The pressing ENTER thing sounded a little bit odd too.
I’m wondering if the OP has been watching some tutorials that could be a bit ‘off’.
Watching misleading tutorials is one of the worst ways to start learning something.
It will be good to hear back from them to see what’s what.