You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Forum Upgrade [Tuesday 4th Feb]

Patrick Connor

• Staff

These Affinity forums will be unavailable from around 7:00 am GMT on 4th February 2020.

The Affinity forums are being updated to the latest release version if Invision forums software 4.4.9.2, which has many fixes and some improvements over the existing (4.3.2) version.

The maintenance is expected to take only a few hours so we would expect them to be available again around 12:00 pm 4th February. There are few significant visual differences, but you will most likely need to log back into the forums when they return.

The Affinity Team

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor 

Your posting here (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/announcement/1-planned-forum-upgrade-tuesday-4th-feb/) does not contain the time-zone - information.

(sadly the ".beat"-Time from swatch did not succeed:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time
perhaps it was ahead of its time.. )

kind regards
Fritz

Worked great in USA. (On smaller browser and mobiles) the Search Bar on top top of forum page, that could not be engaged by clicking, is this a added feature? I haven’t seen this before update.

D9C8820F-C769-4F29-AD03-87961A913640.jpeg

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Can’t attach GIF after website upgrade.
I tried to attach a GIF twice but each time I got a “-200” pop-up error dialog as shown in the first attached image.
The GIF is only 1.1MB in size and was created in the same software – LICEcap – which I used to create dozens of GIFs that I’ve uploaded here in the past.
I’ve attached the GIF in a ZIP (tried attaching the GIF again in this thread but got the same error, see second attached image).

Annotation 2020-02-04 130421.png

Annotation 2020-02-04 131116.png

rectangles.zip

• Staff

I agree and will see what is happening with this large gif, as it does not affect all gifs

hello_there.gif

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

We now know why it changed (we used a new setting to help with a long standing problem uploading large high resolution PNGs) and right now it should work again for your GIF, but the large PNGs fail again.....

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I was just looking through the "Share your work" section.

It appears that the SORT BY function choice looses focus when set to other than the default Recently Updated after visiting another page and/or details in a submitted post.

I haven't seen this behaviour with the Resources section.

• Staff
36 minutes ago, catlover said:

It appears that the SORT BY function choice looses focus when set to other than the default Recently Updated after visiting another page and/or details in a submitted post

Do you mean when you press back you do not get the previous view? ( sorry I am unclear on the problem)

The sort and page functionality is normally done with parameters passed with the URL like this

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/10-share-your-work/page/5/&sortby=start_date&sortdirection=desc

So having used the sort UI as you describe, what is the URL you are expecting and what is the URL you actually get when it is "forgetting"?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

In the past, clicking on Mark Site Read while looking at the Unread  Content activity stream has included 3 functions:

1. An "Are you sure" prompt.
  2. Marking all the topics read.
  3. Performing a refresh of the browser window, resulting in a screen showing no unread posts.

Currently, item 3 is not happening. It would be nice if it were restored.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oops, that's the end for browsing the forum in a very old Safari on one of my oldest machines ("couldn't establish a secure connection") - despite the age, using and browsing were buttery smooth. I could until this day. Sad but that's the reality. Apparently, updated TLS protocol and that's about the only change I noticed so far, visually it's all the same.

I loved Safari 5 and 7. The most stable and robust and serif forums were those of a few that still allowed to use them in 8 y.o. browsers - no ads, nice clean old-fashioned design approach.

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 2.45.32.png

MacBook-Pro mid-2012 15.4" 1440 x 900 Core i7 2.3 GHz DDR3 1600 MHz 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB + Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB CT1000MX500SSD1 1TB + CT500MX500SSD1 500 GB Crucial

AFFINITY DESIGNER 1.10

mav-mo.png.20c400d1ec6e0c9b65f5a06740ce8016.png

Some users appear to be missing the "Last visited" line when hovering over their avatar

Also missing when viewing their profile

Can't recall noticing this before so it may be due to the forum upgrade. ?

missing.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

When using the view latest posts function on other forums, I get a separator that says:

The following threads have not been updated since your last visit

could we have this facility here please?

On 12/31/2019 at 1:27 AM, brseavey said:
On 1/26/2020 at 3:25 PM, AlanPickup said:

Can you tone down the red forum upgrade banner it's quite distracting.

Cheers

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just a note for those that used it previously...

Grammarly has now been disabled on this forum by Invision.

As an alternative, for those that want one, Ginger Grammar Checker appears to work OK.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
9 hours ago, scrutinizer said:

Oops, that's the end for browsing the forum in a very old Safari on one of my oldest machines ("couldn't establish a secure connection") - despite the age, using and browsing were buttery smooth. I could until this day. Sad but that's the reality. Apparently, updated TLS protocol and that's about the only change I noticed so far, visually it's all the same.

I loved Safari 5 and 7. The most stable and robust and serif forums were those of a few that still allowed to use them in 8 y.o. browsers - no ads, nice clean old-fashioned design approach.

Sorry, but this does appear to be the case.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Grammarly has now been disabled on this forum by Invision.

That is helpful to know thank you. Grammarly use could break the text editor "edit" option on all posts below the one where Grammarly was used, so perhaps that is why. I regularly had to fix threads where grammarly use had broken editing posts.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Can you tone down the red forum upgrade banner it's quite distracting.

done :) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
3 hours ago, Catshill said:

When using the view latest posts function on other forums, I get a separator that says:

The following threads have not been updated since your last visit

sorry but can you give me the URL (copy/paste) you have when choosing this option, or tell me where to find it. I cannot see anything called "Latest Posts"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

11 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

sorry but can you give me the URL (copy/paste) you have when choosing this option, or tell me where to find it. I cannot see anything called "Latest Posts"

By ‘other’ forums I meant other than the Affinity one. It is a feature request but one that I find useful when listing unread posts elsewhere.

i have set my forum setting  to list  content I follow and that is unread, it would be extremely useful to have the facility to mark individual posts as read, so they  disappear on refresh rather than having to opening them to mark them read. Unless I am missing an action to do this, I frequently use mark all content on the forum as read , to get rid of a glut of items I am not interested in.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• Staff
11 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

can you give me the URL (copy/paste) you have when choosing this option

@Catshill

Are you saying there's no latest posts function or there is one but it doesn't show threads that have no new posts?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd