You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i am a new user for Affinity Publisher and am enjoying it!  I haven’t been able to figure this issue out and hope it is ok to ask here. 
I initially set up a master and only have one page (facing pages) spread that I update regularly. I don’t want to keep the master any longer. Is there a way to merge the master and  the page so that I don’t have to detach the master each time I want to change something on the page?

Thank you!

• Staff

Hi Jefmt3 and Welcome to the Forums,

On the Page that the Master Page is applied to, look in the Layers Panel and right click on the Master Page layer and select Edit Detached.  You can now click and drag the items in the Master Page Layer outside of the Master Page Layer so they become a normal layer (can provide screen recording if needed). 

Once you've done that, you can then delete the Master Page :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, stokerg said:

On the Page that the Master Page is applied to, look in the Layers Panel and right click on the Master Page layer and select Edit Detached.  You can now click and drag the items in the Master Page Layer outside of the Master Page Layer so they become a normal layer (can provide screen recording if needed). 

Will this also help me? I am making a yearbook for my kid's class. I set up several Masters that I then apply to the kids' individual pages. I do want to make occasional changes to the Masters' presets on the pages. How do I detach single items and all items on the individual pages?

kindly
D.

53 minutes ago, DBerlin81 said:

How do I detach single items and all items on the individual pages?

I assume you mean you want to get rid of/alter things from the master pages. Use the Layers Panel and right click on the Master Page in there and choose Edit Detached from the context menu. You have to right click on the actual Master Page, not the individual layers within the Master Page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:28 PM, Old Bruce said:

I assume you mean you want to get rid of/alter things from the master pages. Use the Layers Panel and right click on the Master Page in there and choose Edit Detached from the context menu. You have to right click on the actual Master Page, not the individual layers within the Master Page.

image.png.ed64cf1a0f3550245bbe5ec2817eb31a.png

Unfortunately, I can't find that "Edit Detached" option anywhere. The screenshot is what I understood I was supposed to do from your instruction. I tried finding "Edit Detached" elsewhere. No luck. 

But also, I do not want to change the settings of the actual master page. I want to make individual changes on the individual pages that a master was applied to. So, i.e. I want to insert images into the place holders and then maybe move them around a bit, change size according to the differeing images I was given for the individual pages. The master pages are supposed to stay as is. This is how I was used to working in Adobe and it seems it should be possible somehow in Affinity, as well. 🤷‍♀️

On 2/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, stokerg said:

GOT IT! And just in case someone else is as slow as I was in getting this right:

What this image doesn't show is, as explained in the quote ⬆⬆⬆⬆ , you apply the Master Page to your desired page and with that "final" page activated, you go into the Layers Panel and right click on the Master layer as shown in the image here. 

image.png.814f1540f3ac2804044413931d1d6d64.png

2 hours ago, DBerlin81 said:

... with that "final" page activated ...

FWIW, occasionally this type of page is referred to as "publication pages" or (slightly more often but more ambiguously) as "document pages" to better (?) distinguish them from Master pages.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7