You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rounded corners setting Vignette effect (A/Photo)

Trying to follow the tutorial video here  "Johny's Power Vignette" I'm confused at 30 seconds in where he says to set the rounded corner radius to 100%. I can only get my setting to go to 50%

Is this a setting I'm missing? I've tried searching but can't seem to make any sense of the forum posts.

To be honest going to 100% appears a waste of time 50% gives the required corners.

Actually there is a vignette filter (main menu at the top of the affinity app) Filters > Colours > Vignette. (Note it is a destructive filter, so it's not editable once applied.)

You can use the Vignette filter in a pseudo non-destructive way.

1. Create a Pixel Layer
  2. Use the Flood Fill tool (G) and fill the pixel layer with white
  3. Change the blend mode to Multiply
  4. Select the Vignette filter: Filters > Colours > Vignette
  5. Adjust the settings to give a vignette effect
    • Example settings
      786205736_ScreenShot2020-02-02at15_52_21.png.1ecadf212b3e683cbc83f17c6d5f0d01.png
  6. Adjust pixel layers opacity if you want to.

If you get it wrong either undo to just before selecting the vignette filter or delete the pixel layer and make another one.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

yes agree and yes I know there is a a vignette filter. But I cant get a setting of 100%. if I type 100% in the box it reverts back to 50%. I used the Vignette-starter.zip  

and opened it in my Affinity and the mask setting shows 100% but if I move the position around to dfferent areas it now shows 50% instead of 100%. Close it and reopen and its back to 100%. It's as if my setting box is showing half...ie 25 when it's really 50 and 50 when it's really 100?

Just downloaded the files, I opened the afphoto file, initially it crashed Affinity Photo (1.7.3) but I reopened it and it works as I expected it to. See short Gif below. The corner radius goes up to 100% and just to reiterate, if you notice there is no difference to the radius once it goes past 50%, I know that doesn't help you with it not going past 50%

yILA76.gif

I have also opened the afdesign file and the corners round off 100% as well.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

To be honest going to 100% appears a waste of time 50% gives the required corners.

That is true when using the "Johny's Power Vignette" technique if the "Single radius" option of the rounded rectangle is enabled. It is not hard to understand why: when all four corners are adjusted at the same time, none of them can have a radius that is more than 50% of the total width or height of the rectangle. (It is easiest to see this with the "Straight" corner type).

But if (as in the later parts of the video) the "Single radius" option is disabled & each corner radius is adjusted separately, it is possible for one to go to 100%, or for two to go above 50% with visible differences:

multi-radius.jpg.5260197324815e22427a085593b7fdd6.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Not to labour this topic as it's not important to me anymore but.....I've tried to do a screenshot of what Im talking about. the max setting alters from 100% to 50% although the effect is the same.And cant get it back to show 100% without closing then reopening the file. Just curious as to why or is it an individual setting on my setup that I'm missing

combined.jpg

8 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Just curious as to why or is it an individual setting on my setup that I'm missing

You aren't missing any settings. As soon as you touch a slider when the "Single radius" option is enabled, it resets all 4 corners to 50% because no corner can use more than 50% of the rectangle's height or width when all 4 are adjusted at the same time.

If you disable "Single radius" & play around with the individual corner settings, you can see how they interact -- as you go above 50% for one, the others adjust to compensate for that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7