You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes/Freezes every time using Vector Brush with Pressure Control

lafasta

Please help. I just purchased Affinity Designer today excited to use the vector brushes to draw, but immediately after installation and opening for the 1st time the app crashes or freezes everytime I use any vector brush with ‘Pressure’ controller.

I’ve tested this about 10 to 15 times and the same thing happens each time. 

1. I open the app

2. I select ‘Vector Brush’

3. I choose a brush and turn on ‘Pressure Controlled’

4. I start drawing but the brush stroke doesn’t function with pressure control even though the option is turned on - it looks glitchy and choppy

5. It immediately freezes or the app closes completely on it’s own

Please help! This is very frustrating since I just purchased the app today and it already doesn’t work. The app is useless right now if I can’t use the vector brush.

Edited by lafasta

iPad model: iPad Pro 12.9 - 2018

Screen recording attached. App freezes completely after 3rd brush stroke. You can see the vector brush glitches in all 3 strokes prior to freezing.

Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app multiple times. What else can I do to fix this? I only need the app for the vector brush which causes the app to freeze every time.

It doesn’t freeze when drawing with my finger but the problem with that is the pressure option is pointless because pressure isn’t registered when drawing with a finger. So again the app is useless to me. 

Do you think you will be able to help me fix this? I really would like to use this app for my graphic design work. If not can I get a refund since the program isn’t functioning as promised?

I'm using a brand new Apple Pencil 2nd Gen. The iPad is brand new also, only a 1 month old and is updated to the most recent iOS.

Can you please offer some troubleshooting tips? Or does Affinity not have another customer service method I can contact. I appreciate you responding, but this forum chat takes a day between each message sent by the time you respond and I see it.  Is there a phone number or email I can write to that will? I was hoping to have this resolved quickly.

Thanks

• Staff

I'm afraid we don't have any support over the phone. We have got the same cover (hour wise) over the forum/email, so it would not make any difference in the response time. 

This issue is not something we've ever seen, and we're still trying to replicate it. 

What happens if you open one of the samples from the home screen and use the Brush tool? Does it still freeze after 3 strokes? Is it fine if you use the Pencil tool instead of the Vector Brush Tool? Is it fine if you use the Brush tool in Pixel Persona?

• Staff

Can you try a few more things

• Restart the iPad
  • inside the app, go to Preferences > General and enable "Show Touches", and attach a new screen recording please.
  • Preferences > Tools and enable Touch for gestures only. Attach another video with this please

• Staff

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm afraid there's not much we can suggest at this point. We've never seen anything like this before.

Can you perhaps try this on a friend's ipad/apple pencil? Or go to an apple store and test it on one of their iPads?

Resetting the iPad to factory default (and therefore loosing all the data/setings/etc) might(or might not) solve the issue, but it's just a matter of guessing now, as there is nothing in the code that could crash the after the 3rd stroke. 

This is a brand new iPad so I tried factory resetting with the same results. I don’t have a friend with an iPad and don’t live close to an Apple store unfortunately. Is there a way to get a refund please since this can’t be resolved?

I looked for the refund option through the App Store but It isn’t available because it just tells me to contact the developer of the app.

• Staff

We managed to replicate a similar issue. When that happens, can you zoom in/out or change tools (to node or move tool for example)? 

We are weeks away from a new update (1.8) and if you wanted you could join the beta group. 

9 hours ago, lafasta said:

I looked for the refund option through the App Store but It isn’t available because it just tells me to contact the developer of the app.

Unfortunately we do not have any control over Apple's return procedure. More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204084

Ok, I would like to join the beta group to see if it will fix the issue. Please send me the steps to do that. Thanks.

And no, when it happens I can’t zoom but sometimes it sometimes allows me to back out to the main screen, or it freezes completely and closes.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Sorry for the delayed reply. As we will be releasing 1.8 very soon there is no need to join the beta group. 

Leap year gift?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Hi Gabe, I’ve tested the updated app and there’s still a problem. The app doesn’t freeze and I can draw with the vector brush which is an improvement but the brush strokes don’t function correctly. For example, as soon as I touch the pencil to the screen the brush tip spins in a circle distorting the stroke. It’s impossible to draw a straight stroke because the beginning is always spun in a circle. I attached a video to show you what I mean. I am not spinning the pencil at all but you can clearly see the tip circles at the start of every stroke. It happens with all the brushes.  Maybe there’s a setting I need to change for my pencil? 

Please help.

Thank you!