You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

while trying to combine light paint images into one, I've tried the mask layer technique just as described in the tutorial video, but haven't been able to achieve good results based on two reasons.

1) I cannot get the mask layer technique to work ( you know subtraction and addicting with the paint brush tool and choosing white or black color ). The subtraction works well, but adding with white doesn't work at all, in fact when choosing white it also subtracts ?? What am I doing wrong ? Are there any tweaks I haven't done ?

2) the other problem I have is while using 5-8 picture. When using  - Place - command and importing the desired picture, Affinity doesn't scale it according to the previous picture ( i.e background ). Is there any " auto scale " or alignment feature available ? As combining 5-8 pictures as masks is also a challenge for my old mac - it seems to consume a lot of memory after each command  even if I've reduced picture size and resolution. Are there anyone who could give me an advice how to proceed accordingly - obviously I'm doing something terrible wrong.   

Which tutorial video would that be dani? (Link?)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, dani.neugebauer@me.com said:

2) the other problem I have is while using 5-8 picture. When using  - Place - command and importing the desired picture, Affinity doesn't scale it according to the previous picture ( i.e background ). Is there any " auto scale " or alignment feature available ? As combining 5-8 pictures as masks is also a challenge for my old mac - it seems to consume a lot of memory after each command  even if I've reduced picture size and resolution. Are there anyone who could give me an advice how to proceed accordingly - obviously I'm doing something terrible wrong.

You can use Cmd (Ctrl on Win) to drag out an aspect ratio image being placed, the cmd locks the image in the centre of the place point,  use snapping to get the image in the centre of the document, you can also use Ctrl to preview the image prior to placing. All of these options can be seen on the status bar just below the workspace.

542094612_ScreenShot2020-02-02at12_20_45.thumb.png.421bfb773fb2a944f271f0ae994f191e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Dani :)

Firstly I recommend changing your Forum Username, as using an email address puts you at risk of spammers harvesting the address. You can change your username through your Account Settings

Secondly, could you please upload a copy of your Affinity document so we can see the progress you've made and offer suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!