You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi and welcome to the forums!

It's hard to tell without seeing the original image and the steps you took to get your outcome. It looks to me as though the "white line" is a left-over from the sky in the original that hasn't been selected before masking/deletion.

How did you select the original sky? Did you then use the Refine... button to improve the selection? If so, did you make any changes to the settings in the Refine panel?

All the best,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Looks like you didn't go far enough in making a selection of the sky, if you use that method again, zoom right in once you think you have made a good selection and then refine the selection or use the (main menu at the top of the affinity app) Select > Grow/ Shrink option to push the selection closer to the edge or just slightly over, I would also try adding a small amount of feathering to the selection to give a more graduated transition: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/332653469

Another method, is to use blend ranges and a replacement sky, there was a video that demonstrated the blend ranges and for the purposes of the demo used a sky replacement, I thought it was a cool way to use blend ranges but I can't find it now.

Top Tip: Is to choose an appropriate sky for the scene else you will go to a fair amount of time and then have an image that doesn't look quite right, it might be worth your while looking at good photographs with scenes of that subject and looking at the skies that are there naturally. You also have to look at the light source and how the shadows are cast, putting s sky with no obvious light source will look odd when you have strong shadows on the land.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The image below give a quick demo of my last post. The edge of the hills are slightly blurred (1px gaussian blur) the sky selection was increased by 2-3px to accomadate a small amount of edge blurring, the sky is more appropriate to the scene being a low sun and the light coming in from the right as the shadows are falling to the left, I still don't think it's the right sky but I just wanted to give an example of my pointers.

797457255_ScreenShot2020-02-01at12_59_17.thumb.png.c4250455d69106d65f1c03e47a1adcbd.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions