You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Style and Brush Assets: Camouflage II

StuartRc

On 4/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, StuartRc said:

You are welcome!...hope you find a use for the assets in the thread...unfortunately not quite finished...been a bit sidelined with another brush set/group..:)

Thanks for all the hard work.  I'm curious how you create texture based styles though.  Can't find how its done anywhere in the forum or on social.  Could you give a quick walk through of how that works?

24 minutes ago, freshlesh03 said:

Thanks for all the hard work.  I'm curious how you create texture based styles though.  Can't find how its done anywhere in the forum or on social.  Could you give a quick walk through of how that works?

Sure. I was asked something similar quite recently.
If you go into the original source thread (Camouflage II) in share your work there is an example of the process. Which is really part of my notes on brush creation. I will some extra information to this thread!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Texture Based Styles

The Textures you see above are really a by product of the brushes/library created and presented in resources. As most not all components of the brushes I create are now vector based it's much easier to manipulate and adjust the objects

Basics
The is pretty basic but it will give you an idea of the process!

Pattern Creation
1. Need to create a pattern in the first instance. The pattern usually but not always has to be 'seamless'. For this you need a grid with a basic symbol arranged in a 'cross' like pattern so you can test for breaks in design. I usually start with a simple rectangle into which I place the pattern!
2. When creating organic textures I realised that to acquire the variation needed for brushes the symbols had to be multi-layered i.e contain a mixture of stacked elements that can 'switched visibility' and apply layer adjustments. This is largely a response to the fact it takes some time to construct and test seamless patterns and for organic patterns in particular it's useful to introduce something that is unpredictable.. or lots of variation
3. Initially I set the pattern sizes to reflect the brush base pattern (200x200px) 300dpi but for Styles I re-created the grid layout at 400x400 or even 800x800px (400dpi)..This helps with scaling and image quality
4. Build the patterns as vector not raster!...much greater control with scaling....You will need this for when creating the styles.

NB
A. Colour patterns can be added to brush base textures...they just get converted to grey!
B. Pattern base textures can be inverted and scaled within the brush dynamics
C. If using layer stacking within symbols... place textures within their own rectangle
D. Repeating Patterns can be converted to compound curves (You can 'nest' other patterns inside)
E. Use groups to control multiple objects with adjustment layers and visibility settings (Erase/Transparency etc).... it's much easier than trying to manipulate every element
F. Use layer adjustment like erase to enhance/edit existing patterns

Styles
1. Create larger grid (scale down in Export Persona as required!)
2. If using colours....apply global colours to groups of objects... it's all about adjustment and control!
3.Create your pattern and export at 400x400 or 800x800 px (300 or 400dpi)...
4. Set up new file with a rectangular container (set you size to reflect the imported bitmap! (no fill/no stroke! so this does not get saved with the style!)
4. Import the image using Fill Tool (G) and set type to bitmap and Extend to Wrap
5. Create a style from selected object....label accordingly (you are a bit limited here!)
6. Apply style to vectors...nice and simple
6. Export the styles

Once the styles have been created....re-apply to other vector objects. Remember that further layer adjustments can be applied to styled elements! 

I have added some images to help you from my original notes...if you can work out what all the icons mean!:)..I have not quite finished these...
The images will help you....but they are not outlined as a process or sequence

This I have uploaded something similar before....this is a later version...but useful to have it in this thread

Symbol Patterns@0.5x.jpg

This gives you an idea of the variation that you can achieve

Adjusting the pattern@0.5x.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Creating Seamless Patterns 

Extracted a page from my notes in Publisher...had a bit of an issue extracting the spread! Couldn't finish it last night!

This is my take on creating seamless patterns extracted from 'Creating Raster Brushes' There many other tutorials around to do this...but this is my take on how to do it...

Artboard1@0.5x.jpg

I use this technique lots!...With the patterns created it is easy to deploy them in different ways. 

A. Create Styles
B. Use as Base textures for Brushes
C. Use as a seamless vector pattern
D. Use as vector textures in conjunction with other objects.

You can see this application in 'Poison' where the brush and asset sets were recently updated here

• 4 weeks later...

Using Compound structures in pattern creation
Added some further information for using compound structures (Compound Vector Objects and compound mesh curves)

Compounds and curves@0.35x.jpg