You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to setup the menu layout on Affinity so that every time it is opened, certain menus are already showing (i.e. layers, colour, etc.)?

Ideally if there is a way of setting this through Group Policy, a registry change that can be sent out, as we have this on over 150 machines.

• Staff

Hi GK-Applemore,

Welcome to the forums :)

Once you've set your Studio/Toolbars layout in Affinity there's no way of directly exporting this layout - however you can copy the App Data 'Workspaces' folder and deploy this to all your machines, so that each machine has the same layout when first opened.

The address for this folder is - 

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces

Please do note that these cannot be locked to prevent further editing, meaning that once each machine has this layout loaded, it can be changed individually and this will be 'remembered' upon closing the app.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

you can copy the App Data 'Workspaces' folder

Dan, could you please tell the according file path for macOS, too?
I assume it's in  ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo/user   ... but which file?

576125228_libraryappsuppaphuser.jpg.395411ed94e3d07ec9368e3745c58327.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, thomaso said:

I am not Dan, but based on looking at modification dates in Finder after changing the Studio panel (not menus) layout slightly & quitting the app, I am reasonably sure is it is a part of preferences.dat.

However, I have to wonder what else might be stored in that file & what would happen if it was copied to a Mac with a different screen size. It seems reasonable to assume the screen coordinates & window sizes of the Studio panels are stored in the same file, so it might cause problems, like for floating panels that open completely off-screen on a smaller screen Mac than the one the file was copied from.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 2/1/2020 at 1:21 AM, thomaso said:

Depending on the installation method, the location is as follows -

Mac App Store -  ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinity[app name]/Data/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinity[app name].plist

Affinity Store - ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinity[app name].plist

As R C-R has mentioned, this file contains the location and sizes of the app and studio windows, so if you move this file to another Mac that has less screen size, resolution or connected monitors you may find this doesn't appear as expected.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!