You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with removing Background

Hi, I need some help.
Since version 1.7.3 I have had a problem removing the background. The photos are not cut out sharply.
They always have "dirty" edges outside. See the photo in the attachment.
I hope you can give me a tip on how to avoid this.

Thank you.

Best regards

P1020701_Sign.jpg

Hi DWright,

Workflow:

Selection the foreground with the Selections Brush – Refine – Output Mask – Apply - Export PNG File

If I use the selection brush instead of the foreground to select the background, the result will be a little better, but it is still not cut out cleanly.

(Attached is the original picture)

P1020701_S.jpg

Why don't you use the Freehand Selection Tool using the option for straight edges, invert the selection and remove the background? This sign is a simple shape.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

For images where you want to select areas with straight edges I think you might be better using the Freehand Selection Tool.
See my attached GIF for an example (make sure you use Shift before your first click, hold it down until you move the pointer back to the start, then release Shift).

freehand-selection-of-rectangle.gif

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

(make sure you use Shift before your first click, hold it down until you move the pointer back to the start, then release Shift).

Or just use the Polygon type of the Freehand Selection Tool?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Or just use the Polygon type of the Freehand Selection Tool?

Sometimes I am not seeing the obvious solution. Thx.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Ignoring the fact that there may be better tools to work on this particular image I can't produce anything like the sort of "dirty edges" you are getting when using the Selection Brush Tool.

Whenever I try it I get a reasonably looking cut-out using just the default refine settings (i.e. no fine tweaking) and outputting to Mask.

If you could record how you are doing it we may be able to spot why you are getting such dirty edges on this image. Please record from opening the image to the end of the cutting-out so we can see all the steps you do.

No need to output the image to PNG just switch off the transparent background when you are done so we can see what it looks like on-screen on a white background.

Image attached is what I get just quickly using the Selection Brush Tool

sign3.png.c074cd33f8f5470b2f303d056fe9ec64.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Do you have an Feathering set when making initial selection?

Also using the refine option on sharp edges it is sometimes better to either uncheck the Matte option or reduce the border slider to about 2-3%

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Quick video on making a selection of a sharp edged object using the rectangle shape and some perspective tweaking at the end. Video runs at 2x speed.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

No Probs, European glad you got it sorted.