Hello forum,

Just purchased the product and overall it is excellent. That said, it is missing a genuinely needed option within cropping. This being the ability to lock/align the cropping tool to the center of the image so that when you click and drag from the left; the right also crops to the same amount, and like wise from top to bottom. Most importantly to me is the need to crop from a corner and for all other points to move the same amount (whilst being locked at the center) framing the image equally and effectively.

I believe although do not fully remember that to do something similar in the overly priced competitor of affinity photo is by holding down alt (or maybe it was shift, but not both together) whilst cropping.

For now i am manually center cropping by adding/taking away the x and y value to achive an equal border.

Thanks

The crop boundary doesn't obey snapping either, which would also have been a nice workaround for this.

While I am skeptical of the notion that there is commonly benefit from centering the crop area, I do agree there should be some improvement in this area.

24 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The crop boundary doesn't obey snapping either, which would also have been a nice workaround for this.

The Crop Tool does obey snapping, but only to the image boundaries or to guides, not to objects.

So one could draw a rectangle from the center (which is supported), then place guides (which would snap to the rectangle), and then crop by snapping to the guides. If one needs to crop from the center as a common part of their workflow that's too complex.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:24 AM, walt.farrell said:

So one could draw a rectangle from the center (which is supported), then place guides (which would snap to the rectangle), and then crop by snapping to the guides. If one needs to crop from the center as a common part of their workflow that's too complex.

That works, but it's extremely time consuming. 

Being able to hold crl while cropping to set transformation origin to center would be far better. 

This is what that certain overpriced AP competitor does. Once you use center-origin transformation it's hard to go back. Allowing users to hold crl / cmd to transform from center means that you only have to click and drag once to proportionally crop in from all sides. Without it, you have to click and drag four times to accomplish the same thing (and it's not even going to be accurate). It literally takes 4 times as long. 

I second this motion. It will be very useful to crop to a fixed ratio (standard photo sizes) to add border that will keep the image in that ratio.