You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Skew vs Affinity Photo Shear

This is probably been covered to death on the forum, but I only wanted to raise this as a new user to AF and one of the main things that might push me back to PS. I have recently moved over to AF due the cost of PS and while I am getting used to the minor differences, most of which have been intuitive and an excellent approach to creating a user interface that resembles PS. But the one thing that I know will irritate and cause a hug amount of difficulty and time in how and for what I use this type of programme is the way in which shear (PS skew) is handled. While everything seems to be a PS operational copy, this takes a different approach. The two ways I have found just simply do not cut it. The Handles do not provide enough control over the image and using the Transform panel Skew slider is just not conducive to either effective or quick adjustment of images.

To explain. I use this function to cut out elements of images to create bitmaps that can be applied to surfaces in 3DS Max or use as room elevation creation in conjunction with AutoCAD drawings. This requires taking photos, cropping areas then remove any perspective. In addition to that I will also use a non-perspective image and Skew to create a side panel/wall in some PS mock-ups of rooms.

There may be a way to do this and I have not found the perfect command, but on the face of it and considering the rest of the software is an based on the PS workflow and marketed as such it is a shame such a simple error has been allowed to slip through. Is there any planned update in the pipeline to address this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 11:33 PM, acdrogers said:

This is probably been covered to death on the forum, but I only wanted to raise this as a new user to AF and one of the main things that might push me back to PS. I have recently moved over to AF due the cost of PS and while I am getting used to the minor differences, most of which have been intuitive and an excellent approach to creating a user interface that resembles PS. But the one thing that I know will irritate and cause a hug amount of difficulty and time in how and for what I use this type of programme is the way in which shear (PS skew) is handled. While everything seems to be a PS operational copy, this takes a different approach. The two ways I have found just simply do not cut it. The Handles do not provide enough control over the image and using the Transform panel Skew slider is just not conducive to either effective or quick adjustment of images.

To explain. I use this function to cut out elements of images to create bitmaps that can be applied to surfaces in 3DS Max or use as room elevation creation in conjunction with AutoCAD drawings. This requires taking photos, cropping areas then remove any perspective. In addition to that I will also use a non-perspective image and Skew to create a side panel/wall in some PS mock-ups of rooms.

There may be a way to do this and I have not found the perfect command, but on the face of it and considering the rest of the software is an based on the PS workflow and marketed as such it is a shame such a simple error has been allowed to slip through. Is there any planned update in the pipeline to address this.

I agree, while there are some workarounds, the shear tool itself leaves a lot to be desired. I'm constantly frustrated that moving the cursor a tiny fraction of a mm results in a huge change, it's basically impossible to work with any level of precision. Wish they would rethink it a bit!