You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me here.

I am trying to find out how I can blur faces in Affinity effectively - just like the attached picture. I am working with Affinity for two years now, but I never found out how it really works. For now I am using the tool "soft focus", but it doesn't soften the focus on the faces as much as I need it, even when I work three to four minutes on one face. So I thought I might have used the wrong tool.

When I watched some tutorials on that topic, I saw people using blur filters to soften the faces' focus. My problem: I don't find any filters tool in my Affinity. I'm using version 1.7.3. and the filters tool is not in the upper task bar / menu or anywhere else... Does someone have an idea why I can't use that tool? Or how I can make it work?

Would appreciate any help!

DSC_2.JPEG

One quick and versatile way to blur faces in Designer is to:
* Duplicate your Background image layer;
* Apply a Gaussian Blur Effect to the upper (duplicate) layer and set the Radius to something that looks good;
* Add a Mask to the duplicate layer;
* Switch to the Pixel Persona;
* Choose the Black colour;
* Select the Flood Fill Tool and click anywhere on the image (the picture will go back to unblurred);
* Select the Paint Brush Tool;
* Choose a Basic Brush and set the size you want;
* Choose the White colour;
* Paint over the faces.
You can switch the blur off and on by simply switching the visibility of the duplicate layer off and on.
You can also set the Radius of the Blur Effect to a different value if you are not happy with it (if you go too large it can unblur it).
If you want to unblur any particular face just paint over it with a Black colour.
See my first attached GIF for a quick example.

If you have Publisher, one quick method is to:
* Duplicate your image layer;
* Apply a Gaussian Blur Effect to the upper (duplicate) layer and set the Radius to something that looks good;
* De-select everything (important);
* Select the Ellipse Tool;
* Draw an ellipse over each face you want to blur;
* Select all of the ellipses;
* Choose menu “Layer → Geometry → Add”;
* Right-click on the resultant layer and choose “Mask to Below”.
You can now use the Node Tool to adjust the ellipses (which are now curves) to change what is blurred.
You can also switch the blur on of off by switching the duplicate layer on or off.
See my second GIF for a quick example.

In Photo you have plenty of options but one is:
* Add a Gaussian Live Filter;
* Release the filter;
* Add a Mask to the filter;
* Select the Flood Fill Tool and click anywhere on the image (the picture will go back to unblurred);
* Select the Paint Brush Tool;
* Choose a Basic Brush and set the size you want;
* Choose the White colour;
* Paint over the faces.
See my third GIF for a quick example.

There will be other methods but these are quick and let you adjust the blur later if you are not happy with it.

blur-faces-in-designer.gif

blur-faces-in-publisher.gif

blur-faces-in-photo.gif