You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - disabling objects highlighting

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481, Win 10

While working on project, objects tend to wink, kind of short pink highlight outside the contour when mouse cursor happens to be over. I understand it's a feature, but for me it's pretty irritating. Is there any way to turn it off?

5 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

While working on project, objects tend to wink, kind of short pink highlight outside the contour

Look at your Snapping options and turn off Show Snapping Candidates.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Look at your Snapping options and turn off Show Snapping Candidates.

Well, that was not the case but general direction helps to resolve the issue.
Thing is "Show Snapping Candidates" was already turned off. It just permanently highlights several of last selected objects. As long as general snapping option is enabled, that winks are continued to appear if "Candidates:" option is leaved on "Candidate list". On any other option("Immediate layers" etc) winks disappears.
Thanx for help!

I think the blink of the candidate is supposed to do that.  Otherwise how would you have any idea if an object is a candidate for snapping?  If you have it set to show candidates it always shows those selected, but if you have it set to not show candidates then you get a brief flash.  If you don't need to know if an object is a candidate or not, than you probably don't need snapping, then personally I'd just turn snapping off.  I know that I sometimes don't want the candidates showing, so I use the flash to let me know the object has been selected.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Honestly, I'm also think it's a useful feature. If you need snapping(like I am) but without that annoying blinks, just use other options in "Candidates" menu. "Show Snapping Candidates"  just highlights selected number of objects permanently, turning it off leaving just informative flashes.

I read it all.  Calm down.  But I'm saying is that I suspect you are taking the unchecking of Show Candidate too literally.  It does not have a place to select DO NOT SHOW CANDIDATE.  It just is saying not to permanently highlight the candidate.

Heh, the more you know...
I'm dedicate some time to playing with this feature and I have to admit - it's actually super convenient, but super counter-intuitive. At first I thought selecting of candidates is chaotic but then I create a clear document and understand that it memorize LAST# objects you highlight. Then you get it, it allows you to super-quick stack needed objects without messing this lots of other objects in document.

Haakoo, why do you think nothing is selected?  If snapping is on then it has to have something to snap to, right?  If you are snapping and have the Candidates per the Candidate list chosen then it will be using the candidates that have been selected.  Regardless of if they show or not.  Turning off show candidates is not the same as turning off snapping.

4 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

I'm dedicate some time to playing with this feature and I have to admit - it's actually super convenient, but super counter-intuitive. At first I thought selecting of candidates is chaotic but then I create a clear document and understand that it memorize LAST# objects you highlight. Then you get it, it allows you to super-quick stack needed objects without messing this lots of other objects in document.

Exactly.  I also find it super handy.

Haakoo, just use "Immediate layers" option instead, it will snaps just like in other designer app but without flashes.

Options, like on\off, duration of highlights and color will be nice too. That particular option is solely about permanence of highlight.

Here on Mac 10.14.6.I don't see any flash if I turn off show snapping candidates. If it is on I see the outline as a steady colour.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Here on Mac 10.14.6.I don't see any flash if I turn off show snapping candidates. If it is on I see the outline as a steady colour.

Hi Old Bruce, do you not get a brief (about 1 second) show of the outline when a new object is added to the candidate list as shown below?  FYI each letter in my drawing is a separate curve, not a text.

Flash.gif.37d480620fcdbde7369f85fde40e92d8.gif

Hi @Gear maker, Kind of but not at all like your example. What happens is there will be an outline (purple) on all the snapping candidates (this is with Show Snapping Candidates on) and as I hover the mouse cursor over a new object it is bold then regular thickness. But still shows the original snapping candidates outlined. Do you have the number of candidates set to 1?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

this is with Show Snapping Candidates on

That's the key, this is with show snapping candidates off.  Number of candidates was 6 when I did this image, which is what I use most of the time.  And before the test I made sure none of the letters were candidates.

4 hours ago, Gear maker said:

That's the key, this is with show snapping candidates off.  Number of candidates was 6 when I did this image, which is what I use most of the time.  And before the test I made sure none of the letters were candidates.

Okay, now we are on the same page. Yes I do get the brief flash when the following is set up, Enable Snapping with Only Snap to Object Geometry being on. I think that one is the key, with it disabled I don't see the same behaviour as you do in your GIF example.

So I guess it is a bug but at the very least odd and annoying to some people behaviour/feature.