You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ungrouping groups/objects

If I have previously created more than one group function to create my final group, I may want to select "Ungroup" more than once to get the job done. But it is quite a challenge to do this simple task in Affinity Designer. If you want to ungroup a group of objects which consists of two or more groups, then you are in for it.

Try this:

1. Create a group made up of nested groups.
  2. Select the group (and on the toolbar you will notice that the command "Ungroup" pops up since your selection has correctly been identified as a group)
  3. Ungroup the group (and on the toolbar you will notice that the command "Ungroup" has been replaced with command "Group"). Affinity is now reading the groups as just separate objects as opposed to groups… I know that in some competitor software groups are read as objects but they do ungroup correctly. 
  4. You are now required to deselect everything and target individual groups to ungroup.

Please Serif make it such that when I select a grouped object and then choose ungroup multiple times I am able to ungroup the whole group (inclusive of the nested groups) without deselecting my selection first. Note that this is standard practice in most if not all graphic design software. Alternatively you can introduce a "Ungroup All" button / command. I want to assume this would be a no-brainer for Serif to implement.

54 minutes ago, william said:

4. You are now required to deselect everything and target individual groups to ungroup.

No need to deselect, just use CTRL+SHIFT+G (ungroup shortcut) to ungroup all groups together

If you have additional child groups just repeating CTRL+SHIFT+G will also ungroup them as well

etc etc etc

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 years later...

I downloaded an aproved graphic image with 4 individual easter eggs in it. All designed to be able to ungroup them and use them separately in a project.  The ungroup option  is blacked out the option to use it or the ungroup all opt is not available.  How do I separate these item. 

Thank you

Hi @JoyJ and welcome to the forums…

Are you able to upload the graphic so we can take a look to see if we can understand the issue you are experiencing…

A couple of questions…

1. Where as did you download the approved easter egg graphic from?

2. What file format is the Easter egg graphic you downloaded in, i.e., .ai, .eps, .svg, or .psd?

3. Which application are you opening the file in, Designer or Photo?

4. If opening in Designer have you tried Layer > Geometry > Separate Curves

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse