You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

21 minutes ago, lastmartian said:

I'm not a fan of PS and I use a very limited subset of its features.
I also hate paying for both the AI and PS, but It seems that I will continue to do so.

Sad 😔

Serif, are you listening???

Can't imagine why would Serif care.

I suspect this is quite an advanced feature, and the demand for it simply wouldn't cover the development cost.
What's more, pixel perfectionism is apparently on the way out, what's with the ever-increasing resolutions and stuff.

10 hours ago, lastmartian said:

Can't imagine why would Serif care.

I suspect this is quite an advanced feature, and the demand for it simply wouldn't cover the development cost.
What's more, pixel perfectionism is apparently on the way out, what's with the ever-increasing resolutions and stuff.

It's been 6 years and plenty of time for any associated development cost to be a complete non-issue, especially so when you consider that a lot of Adobe app users want to make the transition to Serif apps but don't due to the lack of key features like the one being discussed.

29 minutes ago, JDW said:

Serif is unique in that they don't.

They listen.

However, they are under no obligation to respond in this part of the forums (and they generally don't). They are also under no obligation to implement everything that people ask for, nor to implement functions in the order or on the schedule that people want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They listen.

However, they are under no obligation to respond in this part of the forums (and they generally don't). They are also under no obligation to implement everything that people ask for, nor to implement functions in the order or on the schedule that people want.

Sorry to have to disagree with your 21,368 posts worth of experience, but Serif does NOT listen.  Virtually none of the issues presented in my posts through the years have been addressed by Serif, and numerous other people share the same interest.  "Obligation" means nothing.  Yoda said it best...  "Do or do not.  There is no try."  Whether Serif is under an obligation or not is irrelevant.  They are not adequately engaging their own customer base, even after YEARS have passed.

Ditto what I said previously.  Many other software companies are active in their forums because they realize that's where their best feedback comes from.  It therefore comes as no surprise that my most beloved software developers are the ones who do show clear signs that they listen, and help us, the little people, play proactive roles in moving the software forward.  

Excuses that praise the status quo do nothing to move the apps forward.  All that does is just preach to the choir.  I refuse to do that.  If Steve Jobs had that yes-man personality, Apple itself wouldn't exist today.  

Thank you, @lastmartian for your post today.  It reminded me that nothing has changed and kick-started my zeal to keep on Serif until they start to pay attention, for the good of all Affinity app users.

5 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Maybe I am missing something, but until 5 hours ago, the last post to this thread was in 2019. Since that time we do have a simple option to force antialiasing on or off. Isn't that the main request of this thread?

1592643554_ScreenShot2021-07-06at1_56_08PM.png.55720bfbc6448a7171b4144c6f7ee26a.png

You missed my opening post on page 1 of this thread which explains it all in detail.

And yes, as I later explained on page 1, having popup menu convenience for multiple anti-aliasing options is far more realistic and performance enhancing than curves, however powerful those curves may be.

It's been almost exactly 6 years since my opening post, and thus far, no work has been done to address the core issue which I mentioned in my opening post.  A lot of Affinity app users who are pleased with the status quo fail to understand that many Adobe app users HATE the Adobe subscription model and therefore would love to use Affinity apps full time, but they refuse to do so until certain key features are added.  No, they aren't expecting a Photoshop or Illustrator clone.  Affinity apps aren't even close to that. But what most hardcore Adobe app users want is just a little bit more.  I recognized that 6 years ago.  Serif still hasn't.  That's it in an nutshell.

• 2 years later...

yes, by turning off the antialiasing in the blend mode settings, it just turns the antialiasing into a solid color, useless for fonts.

i have a project where i need to turn off antialiasing for fonts, can't believe this isn't possible. now i must use GIMP to type my text in there and then export the bitmap for use in affinity 🤦‍♂️

seems like such a simple feature

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 9:34 AM, pigeon said:

yes, by turning off the antialiasing in the blend mode settings, it just turns the antialiasing into a solid color, useless for fonts.

i have a project where i need to turn off antialiasing for fonts, can't believe this isn't possible. now i must use GIMP to type my text in there and then export the bitmap for use in affinity 🤦‍♂️

seems like such a simple feature

You can work with pixel perfect bitmap fonts.

1. search for a ttf font which represents a true bitmap font. This means all characters must follow a pixel grid of squares.
  2. Install those fonts to your system (Desktop) or Affinity app (iPad).
  3. create a text frame of the exact pixel size. Often you need to add 1px as space to the formal font size.
  4. size, position must be perfectly integer (no fractional positions), and no rotation of course.

IMG_0984.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Below you can find a few example names of suitable fonts. Those where extracted from PC Bios and Dos / Windows.

IMG_0985.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.