You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I now worked way over 200 hours with AD, great Tool for UI Design. But one thing that really could be improved is the font rendering, especially for UI Design. Most of my Designs are for WPF Applications. It would be really great if the developers would improve the rendering. The fonts in AD just look very blury. I really would wish some presets. The "Curve-Tool" is in my opinion useless, I was not able to get any satisfying results.

See the attachment with the comparison of WPF Rendering, Photoshop and Affinity Designer.

Best regards

Nod

post-48039-0-01884200-1492765429_thumb.png

UI Designer from Germany

Currently switching from PS and Ai to Affinity Designer
@https://twitter.com/thecircularcale

• 2 months later...

I'm going to apply the same philosophy I have to other software jumps and I'm going to go "all in for an extended period." What I mean is that my Adobe subscription agreement is up next month and I'm going to cancel and just give AP a fair try. The anti alias feature is something that almost had me not doing this. It's such an integral part that's been around in designer's for years that I'm really surprised there's not just an easy toggle, especially on text. I hope this feature gets added soon as my limited experimenting has made me very intrigued with AP (I purchased right away). However, imo the handling of Anti Aliasing is going to be a feature that will be make or break for many (and I would love it to make). ;)

The only reason I can see that Serif is NOT yet catering to users of Adobe apps as much as they should be (in terms of filling much needed feature requests that would enable the bulk of Adobe users to finally make the switch) is that Serif is juggling too many balls at once. They apparently are trying to kick out the equivalent of InDesign (a publishing app), and as we saw at WWDC, they've clearly spent a lot of time on iOS apps too. I think it's great they are trying to be a complete replacement for Adobe, and even exceeded Adobe in terms of being the first company to come out with a really decent iOS app -- seriously, Affinity Photo on iPad is shockingly good and doesn't foolishly dummy down the feature set like just about every other iOS app out there does. But at the same time, there are still many Adobe users on the fence waiting. Once Serif has committed itself to kicking out the feature requests of Adobe users in this forum, they will surely see a tsunami wave of switchers, happy to rid themselves of that hated Adobe subscription model once and for all. With that said, today's news said this...

"Adobe Systems Inc (ADBE.O) reported a profit that topped market expectations for the ninth straight quarter on strong subscriber growth..."

I simply cannot believe that growth includes "happy customers." I think it includes people who feel "there's no better option right now." Serif needs to continue to work hard on making its software "the better option." And for some people, it is right now.

• 2 months later...
On 14.07.2015 at 9:18 AM, MattP said:

Let us know if that gives you enough control over your text rendering :)

Ability to turn off anti-aliasing for text is very important.

This is important for sharp text, small signatures, ui elements.

For example:
Upper text from Photoshop (without Anti-aliasing)
Bottom text from Affinity

Text_Antialiasing_zoom_100.png.db82295ec1593f62e49bf5e89617a1c6.png

On 14.07.2015 at 9:18 AM, MattP said:

You can choose your own blend gamma and antialiasing ramp on a per-object basis by clicking the little cog icon in the Layers panel with your object selected. You should be able to get any effect you desire through there, but I appreciate it might be nice to have some presets available from a dropdown for the sake of ease of use?

Thanks! But i did not achieve a good result with Coverage Map.

You can try it yourself. The .afphoto file is attached: Text_Antialiasing.afphoto

Upper text from Photoshop (without Anti-aliasing)
Bottom text from Affinity

Text_Antialiasing_zoom_100.png.8dd88cd6988eba433ab75d1cd089b2fb.png

Upper font - Microsoft Sans Serif

Text_Antialiasing_zoom_380.png.415642db38bc2f557f318830efef5cc2.png

12 hours ago, telemax said:

Thanks! But i did not achieve a good result with Coverage Map.

You can try it yourself. The .afphoto file is attached: Text_Antialiasing.afphoto

Toyed around for 15 mins or so, and could achieve nothing that was remotely acceptable!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

This is the best I can get using the Coverage Map.

Not sure if there are any other settings, elsewhere, that can improve it.

(Bottom text is Affinity)

anti.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...

Yes, please add these. I've spent the last half hour trying to get something out the door that was perfect except for the way the fonts are rendering. Never got it satisfactory.

For anyone running into this when trying to save for use in browsers, try saving as an svg. That improved my images considerably.

• 1 month later...

Me too: I would just LOVE to use Affinity Photo! I am exploring the trial version right now. But I really miss these pre-sets for Font-Antialiasing...

• None
  • Sharp
  • Crisp
  • Strong
  • Smooth

I will continue to use Photoshop until this presets are implemented. Hope soon... Thank you.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Designing UI's on small displays i desperately need to control anti-aliasing or at least to able to turn it off on type.....any new on this?

I really neat feature would be able to specify the number of levels... fex to the 16 steps of grey (4 bit) that is available on a OLED displays....or any other user specifiable number from 2 levels (mono)

rgds

anders

On 1/19/2019 at 7:30 AM, anderss said:

Designing UI's on small displays i desperately need to control anti-aliasing or at least to able to turn it off on type.....any new on this?

I really neat feature would be able to specify the number of levels... fex to the 16 steps of grey (4 bit) that is available on a OLED displays....or any other user specifiable number from 2 levels (mono)

rgds

anders

What fonts are you using for the design?
OTF-TT font files have smoothing settings within the font.

These control Standard vs. Cleartype, and Gridfitting, Grayscale, and Smoothing.

In looking at the Segoe UI examples above by zooming way in to see the pixels ...
It appears that Photoshop Crisp is Standard, Gridfitting, and Grayscale.
I am not sure what ADesigner is doing but it looks like just Grayscale and Smoothing, not full Cleartype.
The Windows 10 app example looks like the full color Cleartype with Smoothing.

So I am wondering if the font settings could be changed to display just Gridfitting at smaller sizes.
That should be the same as no anti-aliasing.

This would assume that ADesigner is following the settings in the font.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14. Juli 2015 at 9:01 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

that ramp is useful - but the blend gamma slider to the left is probably the simplest way to control sharpness of text

So after some time has passed now, how exactly can we achieve sharp text? Can we get examples where small text does not lose so much more quality than in other apps? … Please? … Only theory?

In practice, we and Affinity couldn’t even get close to PSE:

pse_.jpg.f675585202a4c04604a89c06ee1e6a1c.jpg

(something for hobbyists)  42× :-(

• 1 month later...

it's a shame that Serif is concentrating all efforts in ipad apps than resolving basic feature lack in Affinity Photo. I guess Ipad apps are quick money for now, but it's a shame that the real PS replacement dream seems to fade away when important features are missing for such a long time.

so, no text anti aliasing options in Affinity Photo ;( 

• 2 weeks later...

@blessrain Welcome to the forum.

It is probably better to start a new thread about you question, because it is a different issue than all of the preceding discussion.

That said, it looks to me like you have antialiasing on the shadow because you have increased the Intensity right up towards 100%. In my experience values greater than ~80% create hard edges which are, in most cases, unusable.

Perhaps there is another approach that will get the end result that you are looking for, without using the Outer Shadow effect?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 4 months later...

The recent posts made me read through this poor multi-year old thread today from start to finish.  I must say I don't know whether to laugh or shed tears at Serif's continued cold shoulder toward us who purchased Affinity apps and had some meager expectation of "ongoing software development."  Perhaps if we asked for the world it would be unreasonable to expect Serif to accommodate, but we are talking about a Text Anti-aliasing popup menu.  

Serif, hire a programmer for a week to implement this popup menu so we can end this thread and your users can rejoice worldwide.  Consider this post the much needed kick in your fanny to get that ball rolling.

Thanks.