You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import

@Bert_auurk About a week ago I had to place a PDF of music output by Lilypond into a Publisher document, and I encountered the same problem. I converted the document to postscript, and that worked for me. What I did (using a Mac): open the PDF in Preview, tell it to print, and in dropdown in the bottom left corner of the print dialog, choose "Save to postscript." Then you can just place the postscript file.

I think others have suggested converting to EPS might work.

This is a known problem, but we understand it would be a complicated thing to fix. Since the problem of font passthrough in PDF is such a serious issue, I can't imagine Serif will never address it, but based on what we know so far, it seems a fix will be a long time coming.

10 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

... based on what we know so far, it seems a fix will be a long time coming.

I think you could well be right! :(

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

50 minutes ago, Bert_auurk said:

Would it be a good solution to export as SVG (in Musescore) and import that in Publisher?

Yes, I think SVG is at least worth a try. It should keep the benefit of vector graphics. Raster formats like PNG would be last resort in my mind, as it would be a shame to output those crisp notes to fuzzy raster graphics. The staff lines especially would suffer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (PDF with musical notes font - Maestro - does not import correctly) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers. This fix will also be made available in Designer and Photo in forthcoming 1.8.0.x beta builds

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I can't speak for the original poster, but Maestro is a Finale font rather than MuseScore. I used to use Finale, and now I prefer LilyPond. Finale installs these music fonts as standard fonts, while Lilypond has its fonts as internal resources that are never installed for use outside of the app. I believe that is how it should be, because I used to get annoyed with all of the useless font choices of random musical symbols from Finale cluttering up every font menu throughout the system with fonts I would never use outside of a music app.

But alas, since there is no way I could find to install the LilyPond fonts, this fix is no fix at all for PDFs generated by some music programs. I do not know whether MuseScore works like Finale or LilyPond in this respect

On 1/29/2020 at 5:24 PM, garrettm30 said:

I think others have suggested converting to EPS might work.

Or you can use Inkscape to convert it to SVG and copy-paste it directly in APub. I understand that some have problem with Inkscape on the last version of OS X, but if it's only to convert PDF fonts to curves, it's fast enough to be a solution.

I just installed the beta version and tried importing a pdf (that was created in MuseScore). Unfortunately the result is the same.

Another thing concerning pdf import: it would be nice if it was possible to specify which page of a multi-page PDF to import (Indesign has that option)

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-24 om 12.18.17.png