You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard order on Designer affects to already placed artboards on Publisher

Not sure if a bug o per design but annoying and risky.

I have a Designer document with multiple artboards placed on my Publisher layout. In Publisher I have a menu to sort and choose what artboard I want to load on each instance of the placed document. The choice is done by selecting the artboard by name. Up to this point is all ok.

Issue is: If by any chance I modify the Designer document and the artboard layer order is modified (For example, I duplicate an artboard, so in the layers pane appears just next to the original one), then in Publisher all the placed artboard are replaced without notice to match the layout order instead of preserving the placed artboard by it's selected name.

If the way to select the artboard in Publisher is by its name, it should preserve placement by name, but instead we choose by name but Publisher store the info by layer order. This is incoherent and, looking how easy is to duplicate an artboard on designer and forget to send it up to the layer stack, it result on an high risk of having all the placed artboards changed in Publisher without noticing.

Note: Seems identical to this earlier bug report that Serif never responded to:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Daniel Gibert,

I'm sorry but I don't seem to get this. can you attach a screen recording of your workflow?

Of course! You have it at https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mh6whjkf0o7fy4/artboards.mp4?dl=0

Is an example I made to explain it better. If you need mor info, please ask me.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Note: Seems identical to this earlier bug report that Serif never responded to:

Your hint reminds me when I was reading that thread, I got an Affinity document in mind about How the Artboard order influences the print page order – unfortunately I couldn't find it again. – Does anyone know where such is documented?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Placed designer doc with artboards uses layer order rather than artboard name) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

24 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Placed designer doc with artboards uses layer order rather than artboard name) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software...

Thanks a lot. Just now I'm in a work hell, but i'll give a try as soon as possible during the week. Kudos to the team!

Tested on the new Beta and now it works perfect. Tried to force the error but Publisher did it's work as a champ.

There is still the issue with the Wrap Outline, that does not work (It loads the first artboard outline on every artboard and in the original size, and if you reset the wrap outline, reverts again for the first one in original size, instead of having in mind of the current size and artboard) but that is already commented on other post.

Thanks for the great job. Keep rolling!