You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to save selected brush stroke as a new brush?

Hi,
I've done a few drawings rapidly experimenting with different size strokes (brushes), and now I've decided on one that I like best. It seems like I should be able to select the brush stroke with the attributes I like with the selection tool, and save it to a brush library for future use. Does this functionality not exist? Or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help,

Erica

No, you can't select a brush stroke and save it as a brush.

However, if you have a brush that is close to what you want, you can double-click on it in the Brushes panel, which will open the brush editing window. You can then click "Duplicate" to make a copy, and start experimenting. When you're done, your modified copy of the brush will already be in the library, and all you may need to do is rename it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:58 AM, Erica said:

Hi,
I've done a few drawings rapidly experimenting with different size strokes (brushes), and now I've decided on one that I like best. It seems like I should be able to select the brush stroke with the attributes I like with the selection tool, and save it to a brush library for future use. Does this functionality not exist? Or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help,

Erica

That's one of those things you'd naturally expect to be there but isn't. At least this thread has stopped me wasting time searching....

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

On 2/3/2021 at 3:13 AM, lineweight said:

Yes, it's quite baffling to me that this doesn't exist.

The whole way 'brushes' work seems to be really confusing and anti-intuitive.

Add that to colour swatches/palettes and perhaps the layer grouping and masking schemes; there are some simple things in this app that have been made incomprehensible. I don't recall getting frustrated or confounded with a brush or palette interface before in my 37 years in the computer graphics industry, this is basic UI stuff.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

31 minutes ago, AndyQ said:

Add that to colour swatches/palettes and perhaps the layer grouping and masking schemes; there are some simple things in this app that have been made incomprehensible. I don't recall getting frustrated or confounded with a brush or palette interface before in my 37 years in the computer graphics industry, this is basic UI stuff.

Glad it's not just me then!

• 2 years later...