You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[535] Odd space behaviour with nested Character Style in Paragraph Style for Initial Words

I set up a character style called Initial Words. Same font family, heavier weight, smaller point size and Small Caps used. The paragraph style uses this for the first two words in 

896263902_ScreenShot2020-01-28at10_58_39AM.png.c6967e9050275e4f47650823761c27da.png

I used an em space after the number and the Small Caps were carried over to the next word

679009266_ScreenShot2020-01-28at10_59_14AM.png.97e71f7b16adb02124a0aefced86f0f1.png

This happens with anything other than Tab, a regular (space bar) space and the Zero-Width space.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Here's my first thought: em space and most of the other "fancy" spaces are normally treated as a non-breaking spaces. It appears this non-breaking quality is related to determining how to count the number of words, such that "1 The" is considered the second word. I have mixed feelings on whether this should be the case or not.

For what it's worth, this behavior is not just in the beta, but also in 1.7.3.

In the case of your example, I think I would add the em space as an end character in the initial words setting. That is, unless your example was just simplified for the sake of demonstration. But I do notice that one can use both the max word count and end characters together, which is nice. Further, from a quick test, it seems you can use regular expressions in the end characters field, which rather opens up the possibilities. I had not noticed that before.

@garrettm30, thanks for the advice and the thoughts and also...

3 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

from a quick test, it seems you can use regular expressions in the end characters field

Say What!? I am going to have to think about that. Possibilities for sure. I wonder if that was planned or is just a happy accident.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon