You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

tif images with clipping mask

I have several images (12.000 images) with format tif and clipping mask (maked in photoshop)

when import these images to Publisher, Deisgner or Photo the images lost their clipping mask and show with white background (no transparency)

these images mantain the clipping mask when imported in Freehand, Illustrator or Indesign and correctly clipped.

This is crucial for me when i try to make a complete catalog with publisher, it's impossible to convert to other format or open in another program and copy paste to another or etc...

my way is simple drag and drop from folder like all other programs.

Any way to make this?? 

sorry for my bad english, but i think this is clear.

• Staff

Hi Adr3n0,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is because tif's don't actually support layers outside of Adobe apps. You can find out more about this here:

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

3 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Adr3n0,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is because tif's don't actually support layers outside of Adobe apps. You can find out more about this here:

Thanks

C

maybe I explained myself wrong, my fault :)

I don't mean images with layers and transparencies ...
the images that I have are all on one locked layer, but have the clipping path applied that works as a clipping mask if imported into illustrator, freehand or Indesign.

this does not happen in any Affinity program, to correctly display the images with the clipping mask applied I must first open them in Illustrator and then later paste them in Affinity Publisher or Designer.
Why can't I open them directly with Affinity and view transparency?
It is a big problem for me, I am thinking of buying the whole suite but it is a little useless to me

17 hours ago, adr3n0 said:

when import these images to Publisher, Deisgner or Photo the images lost their clipping mask and show with white background (no transparency)

Not sure if this helps, but you could try going to "Document - Transparent background". If that works you can then use "Document - Clip canvas" to remove the transparent area, if you need to trim it down. You can set up a couple of keyboard shortcuts to make it really quick to apply to each image. (Or maybe create a macro to do the job.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Clipping mask is different from clipping path... but essential information is that clipping paths seem not to work but layered TIFFs (both layers and masks) seem to work.

will this feature be supported in the future?

I would say it is fundamental for catalogs design etc...

you cannot define such a "professional" program with such a lack, it doesn't make sense

5 hours ago, adr3n0 said:

will this feature be supported in the future?

I would say it is fundamental for catalogs design etc...

you cannot define such a "professional" program with such a lack, it doesn't make sense

We wish devs would supply the feature.

That said, TIFF with clipping path is a bit old skool as most designers use PSD-files with transparency nowadays. Legacy files would benefit the feature of course.

12 hours ago, Fixx said:

We wish devs would supply the feature.

That said, TIFF with clipping path is a bit old skool as most designers use PSD-files with transparency nowadays. Legacy files would benefit the feature of course.

most of the catalogs that I create have pantone colors as a background, how do you manage transparency with Photoshop even using PSDs without having huge files?
Using tif and flattened images with the clipping path I have on average smaller files avoiding saving psd with transparency (which moreover can give problems on pantones with unexpected results).
For this reason I don't think it is such an old method, in fact, in my opinion it is the best thing and there is practically perfect compatibility between the various programs ... apart from the AFFINITY suite

9 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

...In addition, PSD format also supports paths, so it is not "just" a TIFF thing, so support for paths would be very welcome, whether within TIFF or PSD import routine, or both.

As do jpeg files.

Just now, Fixx said:

well well, maybe it works. I just wonder what kind of ink mixture there is at semitransparent areas..? Usually it would be translated to CMYK whole setup.

Works as expected re semi transparent areas.

Here is a jpg with a few different clipping paths. The bottom pantone is 100% opacity, the top has 40% opacity (without the overprint the max ink is limited to 100%).

Capture_000453.png.79f1ba6f6bc850ecb642a9eec5f6e90a.png

Capture_000454.png.6984165804f6ef9227ec53d809c6d7b0.png

None of this should lacking in at least APub.

• 5 months later...

Just to add to the thread here as a kind of work around. And for the record, in some cases I love making clipping paths in photoshop to create transparent areas or close crops for assets in layout. So yes, disappointed to find these paths not recognized in Affinity. Weirdly, however, after placing a clipped image (TIFF) in indesign, I can copy it from indd and paste it into afpub and the clipped areas are transparent! I don't have access to the path anymore but the it seems to work. Haven't tried to print this yet, and worry about the edges, but interesting... (Perhaps if the clipping mask is made in Affinity Photo...?)

2 hours ago, eric u said:

So yes, disappointed to find these paths not recognized in Affinity.

This was bugging me for a while too, but you can workaround. Select the path in PS (1), hit the button "Add Layer mask" (2) from the Path panel and then click the button for Vectormask (3) in the Properties panel and save the file as PSD or TIF. See the screenshot (unfortunately only in German).

ps-path.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone!

I congratulate the Serif company for the graphics programs it is offering.

I just bought the three programs of the Affinity suite and I am quite satisfied but unfortunately I have to agree with "adr3n0" for the fact that it is not possible to insert the clipping paths that we are used to manage in photoshop in the publisher.

I tried a thousand attempts by creating various layers in affinity photo and exporting the layered file in tiff but publisher does not recognize the photo layers.

Sorry for the English

I'm sorry

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I was looking for info about importing/placing CMYK tiffs with a clipping path and found this thread. 
Using Tiffs with clipping paths is quite common and an efficient way to use (product) images without background. Just google "clipping path service" and you know what I mean. Anyway.... is there a way to place an image with a clipping path (TIFF) so that it actually works= no background in the product image?

Thank you.

Hi @ImageworX,
Welcome to the Affinity forums!

As far I know Affinity still is unable to read those clipping paths but rather prefers to work with its own proprietary type – which is at least able to get transferred in a JPG for instance: Clipping Path Demo.jpg.zip

Compare also these related threads …

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1