You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Halftone Cell Size

• Staff

Hi Sullyman,

This is in the Help File: Cell Size—dictates the size of each individual dot, line or circle that makes up the continuous tone.

From checking with QA they have stated the following: A Cell Size of 15 would be 15 squared (15px x 15px) and the halftone dot will not exceed this. So if you placed a 15px x 15px shape over the halftone dot, the dot will never go past its boundaries (see attached screenshot). 

Hope that helps :) 

image.png

Ok so if I have this right, I should be able to calculate the line and frequency then by taking my document resolution and dividing by the amount of dots I'd like in a given line and that would give me the "cell size" or pixel radius of the dots.

ie: 1200ppi/dpi / 55lpi(lines per inch) = 21.8 = 22 (Rounded to nearest whole number)

That would give me 55 dots at a 22 pixel radius within a given line of halftone.

Good to know and thank you for the insight @stokerg