You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Texture Line Style

3 minutes ago, skersh said:

Can someone explain the use and operation of the Texture Line Style for the Stroke property. I am trying to figure out a way to create a beveled frame border of a text box and thought this may help.

I think the Texture Line Style is really only relevant in Designer, or in the Designer Persona of Publisher, where you have vector brushes available. In those cases, you can set the stroke style as Texture Line Style, then choose a vector brush, and the brush will be applied as the object's stroke.

For a beveled frame border for a Text Frame, I think your easiest approach may be to draw a Rectangle the same size as the Text Frame, apply a bevel effect to the Rectangle, and then group the Rectangle and Text Frame together.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, skersh said:

I just thought there may have been another option when I saw Texture Line Style.

I don't think it works for Text Frames, because you have to apply the Stroke style using the Text Frame panel, but that panel is available only in the Publisher Persona, where you can't select the Brush to use. If you switch over to the Designer Persona where you can select the Brush, the only Stroke that you can affect is the stroke of the text inside the frame, not the frame itself.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think it works for Text Frames,

It's doable if you have both Publisher and Designer

Create a rectangle
Use Designer to add your Textured Line Style
In Publisher convert the rectangle to a Text Frame

The Text Frame's Fill, Stroke size, colour etc remain editable via the Text Frame Panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks, Carl. Forgot about the possibility of converting the rectangle to a text frame.

-- Walt
PC:

I know I am missing something. If I create the rectangle and go to the Designer persona the only way I see to add the bevel is to the layer - Can I just do it to border of the rectangle? If I add the bevel fx to the rectangle layer then convert it a text box, when I add text to it the text takes on the bevel effect as well.