You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML import and PDF import

Moon12

Dear Support,

I imported a 96-page magazine - which worked (almost) perfect.

Unfortunately the hyphenation-setup is not taken from the InDesign styles.

So, I have to set every number to 1. Then it works excellent. Unfortunately on every Text I must change these Numbers to 1.  

See Screenshots, please. 

Is there a trick to get the hyphenation settings from InDesign or to set all to 1 in a whole document?

Another thing is the import of an PDF file.

As I do not have the fonts installed, (this AD comes from a customer which uses his fonts).

In InDesign, it shows up good, as it accepts the inbound fonts of this PDF.

What can I do then?

(To open this PDF in Illustrator CS6 and export as a JPG will not work long, as I will change to the newest MacOS.)

missing fonts in Designer.png

Error in PDF from IDML.png

Error in IDML1.png

Original Ad as in InDesign.jpg

What am I doing wrong? I just purchased and installed Affinity Publisher 1.7.3. I exported an important InDesign CS6 file as an idml file. When I try to Open it, the document  is grayed out and will not open it. When I drag and drop it, I get a not compatible error message. What am I doing wrong? The whole purpose of purchasing Publisher this morning was to be able to convert my InDesign CS6 documents into something usable so that I can get rid of InDesign and upgrade my MacBook Pro to Catalina. Please help!

2 hours ago, tmbrg2020 said:

What am I doing wrong? I just purchased and installed Affinity Publisher 1.7.3. I exported an important InDesign CS6 file as an idml file. When I try to Open it, the document  is grayed out and will not open it.

Publisher 1.7.3 cannot open IDML files. That is actually a new capability currently in beta. You can try the beta for yourself, but until 1.8.0 is officially released, you can expect issues.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums. :)

22 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Publisher 1.7.3 cannot open IDML files. That is actually a new capability currently in beta. You can try the beta for yourself, but until 1.8.0 is officially released, you can expect issues.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums. :)

Thanks, garrettm30. I'm following the info links about betas and full releases of Publisher. In the latter chart, Mojave is listed but not Catalina. I thought I had read that Publisher was compatible with Catalina 10.15. About to download the beta now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have Acrobat Pro you can convert all text to outlines in the preflight section. This would get rid of all fonts making it import properly into Publisher. Of course you loose any editing capabilities of the text if you need it. Personally I can't imagine importing a 96 page job in Publisher as is, too many little quirks with PDF import. Have not tried the beta yet to see how IDML files are handled, but again that is a big file, seems simpler to just work in Indesign if you have it rather then hunting around that many pages to make sure everything imported correctly. Now if you were setting up from scratch that would be another thing. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon