You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - How to export uneditable pdf ?

Hello Guys,

I'm working on a project and was looking for a way to export it as a pdf so it would be uneditable. 
On Illustrator I could set a password but it doesn't seem like Publisher has that feature.. 

I tried to flatten my file while exporting (300dpi to keep my images sharp) but the pdf was unreasonably large - over 50mo..
When I flatten my file with 72dpi, the pdf is 5mo but the images are super blurry.. 
The pdf size once flatten is like 5times larger than the pdf exported with editable layers, this is super confusing..

When I tried other export options, like export as a pdf (for export), my file is 11mo, images are sharp but the pdf is still editable..

Is there a way to have my pdf to be the smallest possible, get sharp images and be uneditable ?

• Staff

Hi DT WORKSHOP,

It's not currently possible to password protect a PDF from within Affinity.  It's been requested a number of times and i suspect it will be added in a future update.

When exporting to PDF with Flatten enabled, it's basically creating a solid image from all of the data on the page, which can result in large image files being created.

I know there are 3rd party apps which can password protect PDFs but wouldn't like to recommend one, as i've not used any.  However, i'm sure some of the Forum regulars will be happy to make suggestions :) 

23 hours ago, DT WORKSHOP said:

I'm working on a project and was looking for a way to export it as a pdf so it would be uneditable. 

There isn't one!  Passwords will protect you from a casual dabbler, but if someone's intent on editing the file they'll hack the password without too much trouble.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10