You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

failure opening canon cr3-file

When I try to open a canon CR3-file I get the following error message ( See attachement ). The file was created by my new Canon EOS M6 Mark II.
These CR3-Files are between 30 and 50 MB in size.
I would be grateful if this bug were fixed in the new version.

Zwischenablage01-Failure-opening-cr3-file.jpg

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

It would be helpful for the developers if you post this file, to determine why the file cannot be parsed.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thank you,

please give me a link for sending the private file (about 40 MB) to you.

excuse my bad English

Bonjour Leroux,

dans la dernière version bêta, les fichiers cr3 normaux devraient déjà être lisibles.

Dans mon cas, cependant, c'est le nouveau Canon EOS M6 Mark ii. Cela peut résoudre des images avec 32,5 mégapixels. Cette haute résolution semble toujours poser nombreux problèmes.  L'équipe de développement sera certainement en mesure de résoudre ces problèmes.

excuse my bad English

For 

On 1/28/2020 at 5:12 AM, KoBu said:
When I try to open a canon CR3-file I get the following error message ( See attachement ). The file was created by my new Canon EOS M6 Mark II.
These CR3-Files are between 30 and 50 MB in size.
I would be grateful if this bug were fixed in the new version.

Zwischenablage01-Failure-opening-cr3-file.jpg

For the record, I have the same camera and same issue.   

Does it change anything for you if you dial it down and shoot at a slightly lower resolution?  Haven't tried that yet and at work now.   Just curious.  

Edited by timlt
add question

Hey timlt,
until the developers offer a solution, the only option is to use
for raw files additionally the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 (look at the homepage of Canon support software) (and finally convert the raw files to jpg).

excuse my bad English

@KoBu

and finally convert the raw files to jpg

Personally, if I needed to use Canon DPP to open my RAW files I would export to .tiff rather than .jpg.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hey emmrecs01,

thanks for the hint.
I tried it out. I have converted a sample file (37 MB Raw) with the Canon software in different ways. Result: jpg 17 MB, tiff 92 MB, tiff 16 Bit 184 MB. 
I never thought the size difference would be that big.

excuse my bad English

• 3 weeks later...

Just me--I've tried the Canon DPP as recently as 2 weeks ago, it is a no-go.  Not only is the UI clunky and hard to use, the collection and file management features are virtually useless, etc.  But on top of that, DPP does not produce as good results with RAW files as I can get with other RAW processors that handle CR3 (including or especially:   Adobe camera raw/Lightroom,  Skylum Luminar 4, and now, Affinity Photo).   And worst of all, DPP is mind-numbingly SLOOOOWWWWWW.   Try this experiment:  take a batch of 20 good-sized RAW CR3 photos of 20mb each, or more.  Convert to 16-bit tif.  Time how long it takes.  Now perform this same test in ACR/Lightroom (if you have it), or in Affinity Photo beta.  It's not even close!  conversion times ranged between 10x and 15x longer in DPP, every time I tested.   Anyway, can you tell that I'm not a DPP fan?  🙂

Anyway good news for this thread and back on topic:  with the latest Afffinity beta update, CR3 works great and my RAW handling problems in the beta are fixed!   Hopefully @kobu you are now up and running as well.  

On 1/31/2020 at 10:29 PM, timlt said:

Now here is a full-size RAW file that does not use C-RAW compression.  Like the Pillsbury Dough Boy used to say about their muffins:  THEY'RE HUGE!  🙂

Same result:  "The file could not be parsed."  

IMG_0267.CR3

No problems encountered (both files)
Using the latest beta - 1.8.0.555
Both files open and develop error-free.

Greetings,
Hubert.

CR3 - beta 1.8.0.555.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.