You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APub production ready?

hi there,

first of all - great software already. miles ahead of several other 1.x-versions in the past.
joined the group of 'adobe-refugees' already in 2017 and waited long for this peace of software to get ripe. did some testing till now with several projects without daring to use it fully in production... now i did and immeadiately it gives me headaches.

scenario:
a brochure with about 20 pages and lots of ads.
where everything that has to be done internally in APub works really well and flawlessly so far, the placing of external assets throws problems that let me question again if this is really usable for production yet ...

first big trouble:
embedded fonts in .pdf's! sometimes they work without hassle and the pdf looks as is expected - sometimes they dont work at all. for the latter one have to tweak every single ad to either convert the fonts or generate a bitmap out of it. thats completely weird. and to be honest: not acceptable at all. the amount of time this consumes is far too big and really can not provided at all.
i dont want to have editable assets or ressources to be placed. they just should be placed - as they are. period.

second big trouble:
these ads come from all sources and theres no way to control what the author did/does. so the colors gives me another heavy headache!
this time the issue extends to the edge of not being able to use APub for production ...
colors get changed by APub!! obviously depending on the embedded (or not) color profile of the ads APub changes the colors!! what the hell? it seems, that if the embedded color profile of the ad is by chance the same as in the APub project, everything is o.k. - but for every other scenario they obviously change! why?
astonishingly the colours are correct when trying to edit the ressource within APub - on leaving the edit theyre wrong again. sometimes that obviously, that the results are by far not acceptable anymore. how to explain this to a customer???

this time theres really no way to get it right - how should i change the icc profile of an external .pdf?? again going the weird way over a bitmap? whoah.

just one simple question:
why do ressources as pdf's have to be editable?
take them as they are and simply ignore embedded profiles.

// btw: i've put the same project together in ID simultaneously - no hassle at all. all ads fine, every font displayed correctly and same for colors! //

so - where is that fu***ing "ignore enbedded color profiles" button in APub? where is the question-window when placing a ressource that asks for whether to simply place it or make it editable??

another thing:
i am missing the ressources *panel* for constant control of missing or changed ressources.
wheres the info panel to see what effective resolution a embedded ressource has, and which color profil is assigned, the original dimension etc. etc.?

at this point my nerves are heavily strained and i am quite disappointed to see thats not working out. for such simple things ...!

maybe someone might tell me i am doing something dead wrong, and its not APub? please.

2 hours ago, dasigna said:

just one simple question:
why do ressources as pdf's have to be editable?

'cause making them passthrough is not simple. Making them editable with some fonts issues is halfmeasure and halfbaked – we just hope devs can get to fullbaked before long. And yes, if you have a lot of ads Publisher is not going to cut it until then

Colour profiles in another issue... maybe someone else can parse a convincing explanation.

2 hours ago, dasigna said:

wheres the info panel to see what effective resolution a embedded ressource has, and which color profil is assigned, the original dimension etc. etc.?

.You mean this? Document>Resource Manager... 

resman.png

26 minutes ago, Fixx said:

.You mean this? Document>Resource Manager...  

resman.png

basically - yes. but having it in a panel for constant view and control would be muuuch better! currently one has to click like mad just to control again... so why no dedicated panel??

27 minutes ago, Fixx said:

'cause making them passthrough is not simple. Making them editable with some fonts issues is halfmeasure and halfbaked – we just hope devs can get to fullbaked before long. And yes, if you have a lot of ads Publisher is not going to cut it until then

O.o
But its fundamental - isnt it?

7 hours ago, dasigna said:

basically - yes. but having it in a panel for constant view and control would be muuuch better! currently one has to click like mad just to control again... so why no dedicated panel??

I would also like this to be a normal panel in View>Studio, but it behaves like one anyway, doesn't it? Maybe size could be more adjustable..

7 hours ago, dasigna said:

But its fundamental - isnt it?

Passthrough PDF: Productionwise – yes; as implemented code – no. There is no readymade library from where it could be activated easily.

@dasigna: I agree, run into exactly the same issues. Didn’t recognize the color profile problem yet, though, since “my” ads weren’t properly profiled anyway so far. Not looking forward to the first customer with spot colors.

You can workaround the fonts issue if you convert them into curves, see 

@Fixx WRT PDF placement:

There is no readymade library from where it could be activated easily.

TeX does it (at least since dvipdfx or pdfTeX) , and that’s mostly public domain. Maybe these parts are under GPL, don’t know. Of course the workflow is so different, that there’s probably no code that Serif could use.

Probably there are licensable parts of GhostScript or one of the PDF libraries (e.g. PDFlib).