You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.0.532 update CRASHING

• Staff

Hi Lindsay,

That was the wrong folder - I've deleted it as it contained your product key. 

To get to the location i specified press WinKey+R to display the Run dialog and paste the text below into it: (complete with percentage marks):
%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\

You should then see the 1.0 and 1.0 (Beta) folders.

• Staff

Hi Lindsay,

Glad you're back up and running, unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the crash. Looking at the crash reports, it looks like it was .NET that was crashing, so performing the repair has probably solved that!

Thanks for letting us know :)

• Staff

Does the non-beta version also fail to start up in the same way? Have you recently installed any fonts?

Would you be able to go to c:\Windows\ and zip up the 'Fonts' folder and upload it to our Internal Dropbox using the link below please? Note the file could be quite large so please bare this in mind if you have limited/restricted bandwidth.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Bw2ppDK9cFGU15YsLtx2

Thanks!

• Staff

@Lindsay Gibb

Can you please also upload a copy of the event log to that dropbox link?

Press Start and search for Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrative events. Look for the time when you run the app and crashed. Select those events, right click and Save Selected Events. 

I encountered the same issue with my beta installation. Affinity Designer Beta crashes after showing window frame and before showing any button or text (fig.1).

The non-beta version does not crash. The beta version seldom (1 in about 20--50 tries) successfully starts up, but has its font list scrambled up, having the font rendering different from the font name showed in list (fig. 2).

Wild guess: the hashing algorithm of font entries is inconsistent between listing and rendering modules. In most cases it results in fetching the value from an empty bin from the hashmap, which results in an exception; but in rare cases (if the seeds are right) the desired result is in the same bin as expected, so it does not crash and has its font list scrambled up.

Another wild guess: it's related to different representation of strings between the OS and the app

image.thumb.png.754866e251d32a46b0f34a06815c42c6.png

^ Fig. 1 - The state of Affinity Designer Beta before crash

image.png.14ac25beefbcce64fa9c27f40e41ce3b.png

^ Fig. 2 - The font list scrambling up. Notice neither of the rendered text are showing the right font.

System information:

Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.0.532
Windows 10 Insiders Preview 2004 Build 19551

I have the files mentioned above zipped, and can upload them if you need them.

---

Update:

Checked the event data, it seems there's a bad pointer or something like that while accessing fonts.

image.png.fd2c48baabe5b83ffe26f8f5b3b9db33.png

Just now, Gabe said:

Can you upload the file on the above link? Also, how many fonts have you got installed?

Sure. I've got about 2300 fonts (font files in C:/Windows/Fonts) installed so it might take some time for me to narrow down the specific font(s) that caused this issue. Should I upload the whole fonts folder (~2.4GiB)?

55 minutes ago, Gabe said:

If you can, yes please. Upload them to that dropbox link and let us know when it's all done so we can have a look :)

Dropbox reported an error when uploading the fonts folder, and I'm retrying that. Other files were uploaded successfully.

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Mine does not hang and the fonts show up fine, even when using your AppData. Can you rename the AppData to 1.0 (beta).OLD and see if that's any better?

Mine still doesn't work after renaming. I guess it has something to do with the version of Windows. Mine is Insider Preview Build 19551. I will also test the program after I upgrade to Build 19555.

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I could not get 19551, but on 19555 it works fine. Have you got a machine running the release stable version or one with 19555 so you can try it out? 

On 19555 it still crashes whether I reset AppData or not. On my other machine (with stable Windows version and a slightly different font set; I installed all the fonts onto that machine) it works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.