You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Fill Inside of Map Outline

The map outline is an eps file. I have the map outline layer selected. There is a blue line that frames the actual map outline image. I know I can move and change the size of the map outline with by manipulating the several circle points on the blue line. Why is there so much space (margin) between the blue line and the map outline?

With the map outline layer selected, where exactly do I go to fill inside a color inside? Right now the inside of the map outline is transparent.

2 minutes ago, lbohen said:

With the map outline layer selected, where exactly do I go to fill inside a color inside? Right now the inside of the map outline is transparent.

With the Move Tool active, you should be able to either:

• Click a color in the Color studio panel; or
  • Click the Fill box in the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, lbohen said:

I'm not able to make the inside fill of the map outline yellow (FBFF75).  Help appreciated.

If you select the top (Curve) layer inside the (Layer) layer, you will be able to fill it with a color as I indicted above.

image.png.513a0695f920bcc7ed3fc0e31c603963.png

You will need to play with the layer opacity, or blend mode, or drag it to the bottom of the layer stack, if you want to see the rest of the layer content.

Here is the result after filling with yellow and dragging to the bottom of the layer stack:

image.thumb.png.9e7890f4996beaed20eca2a663655e71.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome, Ibohen.

-- Walt
PC:

I opened the Vermont outline file which was an embedded layer in the final image. The Vermont outline image only contained the black outline of Vermont. From there I was able to change the fill inside the outline from transparent to yellow. I then embedded the yellow-filled outline in my final image resulting in this.

Vermont-Outline-ink-well-Vermont-Authors-Fest-green+yellow.eps

I'd still like to know about the blue line frame. There is a blue line that frames the actual map outline image. I know I can move and change the size of the map outline with by manipulating the several circle points on the blue line. Why is there so much space (margin) between the blue line and the map outline?

9 minutes ago, lbohen said:

I'd still like to know about the blue line frame. There is a blue line that frames the actual map outline image. I know I can move and change the size of the map outline with by manipulating the several circle points on the blue line. Why is there so much space (margin) between the blue line and the map outline?

The blue outline is called the bounding box and shows the vertical and horizontal space the object exists in, it also enables you to scale and rotate as well as move the object. If you change from the Move tool (V) to the Node tool (A) and select the map outline layer you will see a different view of the map and the nodes of the curve that makes the map shape will be shown.

2122117016_ScreenShot2020-01-28at13_52_24.png.0d3576e4f5390e8b4c6e6c55ce1ba587.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions