You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Complex layer selection from Freepik EPS files.

I use EPS files from Freepik quite a bit. When I open the EPS file I am faced with complex layer structures. I am wondering the best way of selecting an area of the image to select just the layers I need, or at least with as few extra bits as possible. An example is the attached image opened in Affinity Designer, then from that I want to select the layers associated with the character shown in the smaller image. I would then create a new file from those layers and edit so that I can use the character in an animation program. The workflow I have works, but the layer selection method I use seems very slow and is quite hit or miss. Any help appreciated.

Annotation 2020-01-27 163959.jpg

Annotation 2020-01-27 164050.jpg

• Staff

Hi Macdonut :)

Could you please share a copy of this EPS file so I can look into the best methods for you? Thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file!

I can confirm that part of your file is vector, whereas some of the design has been rasterised into a Pixel layer.

First I removed the background layer, then deleted the Curves vector mask against the Pixel layer we need to isolate. Then I cropped the layer using the Vector Crop tool, ensured the layer was on an exact X & Y position, and then rasterised the layer.

Then with the CTRL (Command on Mac) key held down, with the Move Tool active I selected the area with this image and the curves beneath it - the CTRL modifier allows you to select all objects beneath the layer, including the pixel layer. I then copied this and used File>New from Clipboard.

With this new file, I switched over to the Pixel Persona to use the Brush Selection tool. I used this to select the section of the image you wish to keep, then I cut and paste this selection to a new layer and deleted the excess background.

I've created a quick screen recording of this below, I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

Thanks for the effort you put into that. Unfortunately, it's not quite what I was after. It's probably easier if I explain the end result I am after. I want to eventually save the character as a PSD file, with layers for head, front hair, back hair, eyewhites, eyeballs, eyebrows, ears, nose, torso, limbs, etc. Basically, I want to create a puppet in a set format ready for animation. 

AND, to top it all, this particular file would never have done what I wanted it to do anyway!!!! :$ I've just realised, as you did, the character isn't a vector!!! Doh! However, your answer has made me think more clearly about checking the make up of the layers in the file I want to extract from and also cleared up using the CTRL key with the selection tool. Clearing the background first is the answer, I think, which makes final selection so much easier. Just tried that on another EPS file and I was able to lift the character with all his layered body parts out really easily once the background was out the way.

In closing, you have managed to answer the question I should have asked. So, thank you. :D

3 hours ago, Macdonut said:

…I want to eventually save the character as a PSD file, with layers for head, front hair, back hair, eyewhites, eyeballs, eyebrows, ears, nose, torso, limbs, etc. Basically, I want to create a puppet in a set format ready for animation.

Sounds like you're heading off in the direction of Reallusion's Cartoon Animator 4, hmm? :) 

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

• Staff
13 hours ago, Macdonut said:

In closing, you have managed to answer the question I should have asked. So, thank you. :D

I'm glad to hear it, thanks for letting me know! :)

12 hours ago, MikeW said:

The image parts are only images in Affinity software.

This is due to the .eps likely being a container for an .Ai file, as we find most Free Vector sites provide. Did you open the file in any non-adobe app? 

Please note -

Many thanks!

Other than getting a copy of Adobe Illustrator CS5/6 it's going to be a struggle with freepik files, especially if they have some of the more advanced effects applied. I had some spare time so I've exported the elements for you from Adobe Illustrator, they are in PDF format and open fine in Affinity Designer. Assets 7 and 8 are duplicates, I was just messing with settings to see how it would export.

31705-eps Assets PDF.zip

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Other than getting a copy of Adobe Illustrator CS5/6 it's going to be a struggle with freepik files, especially if they have some of the more advanced effects applied. I had some spare time so I've exported the elements for you from Adobe Illustrator, they are in PDF format and open fine in Affinity Designer. Assets 7 and 8 are duplicates, I was just messing with settings to see how it would export.

31705-eps Assets PDF.zip

Cool. That's well useful. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Macdonut said:

Cool. That's well useful. Thank you.

No probs, enjoy. :)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You should be able to export these and hopefully when you open them they should retain the groups.