You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If you create the grid with line or shape objects they will export and print in their color. – If they are guides created with the "Guides Manager..." or the "Grid and Axis Manager..." they won't print or export.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 months later...

I would suggest at the moment that you make your grid with lines, draw them, space them as needed and then lock them in the background. This would give you control over the colour and stroke weight of the grids as well. Unfortunately there is no step and repeat options yet so it could be tedious unless someone has a way of doing something similar to step and repeat with a different tool in the app. 

If you google needlepoint charts you will find a lot of ready made templates out there that you could use as well. Just place in Affinity, send to back, lock it, and start working. 

25 minutes ago, wonderings said:

there is no step and repeat options yet

Look at Power Duplicate…

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/duplicate.html?title=Duplicating objects

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301626751/

Drawing a grid only takes a few seconds.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

29 minutes ago, wonderings said:

there is no step and repeat options yet so it could be tedious

"Yes, we can": Just...

1. Select an object.
  2. Move it in the wanted direction (and maybe distance)
  3. Press Cmd-J
  4. Repeat step 3.

Additionally/optionally you could...

... select 10 objects before using Cmd-J, which would result in 10 copies.
... use the Align feature to adjust the distances.

Tedious is an understatement, as the grids are typically 300+ x 300+ threads, much greater for larger pieces.   

i will try the “duplicate” suggestion though I’m not confident. 
another suggestion regarding placing a graph I find elsewhere as the lowest layer and locking it sounds a bit more promising.

i don’t want  to spend lots of time building the tools I need. 

Edited by Dennis R
Adding more info

24 minutes ago, Dennis R said:

Tedious is an understatement, as the grids are typically 300+ x 300+ threads, much greater for larger pieces.

But you would do it only once and use this as template, wouldn't you?

Another workaround could be a table object, which enables you to set the numbers and sizes numerical.
But it might not be faster and may demand waiting to get it rendered on screen. Make sure to have "Show Special Characters" deactivated.

630016385_tableasgrid1.jpg.87a9d8a5098cfdd080b2ad91057ca19d.jpg

256561783_tableasgrid2.jpg.bc124b1dbab6f87c9bf9753d7772158f.jpg

Thomaso... You’re correct that if I can make it once, then I can reuse it.  I’ve tried to recreate your example On my iPad, but could not find “table object” and wonder if it exists in the iOS version that I am using?  If it’s there, I can’t find it.    I’m waiting for a new iPad Pro , which will be my device for design.

> could not find “table object” 

Oh, you are correct, too. When mentioning the table I hadn't in mind that this topic asks for the Designer app. Tables are a tool in Publisher only. – Sorry!

@Silver06 Try this for grid creation: https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ exports to PDF

Example export: plain-2.pdf

645778981_ScreenShot2020-05-13at19_53_36.png.9afd162b27f44b97fb29cedeb604a5bf.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 5 weeks later...

One thing I did today, in a pinch, is took a screen grab of the background with the grid (Print Screen on PC) after I hid the other layers, imported the screen grab and cropped it. I changed the opacity to 50% to line it up to the Affinity grid & saved it as a new layer. I originally created a custom grid to show scale and sizing, to realize at the end that I couldn’t print the grid. This was a quick fix without having to draw anything. In my case, a few pixels could’ve made a big difference so I didn’t want to risk it or waste the time drawing the grid. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Aye caramba!

I am trying to move from "Graphic" which has a lousy text implementation. BUT, in the print dialog that pops up, there is an option to print the grid! TOO easy. I'm going back to that to make it infinitely easier to print the grid. I need it most of the time for spacing objects.

PLEASE, Please, please add that function!

Graphic also allows the grid to start anywhere in the file, so one can have a grid 25 pixels from left, right, top and bottom. Perfect! No other app I've found does this! I wish they'd update it!

Another problem: I pasted a far too large image into a file. I then shift-dragged to get the size down to what I want, but you don'y support proportional dragging to size! Everyone else does that, why not Designer?

Edited by Peter_

3 hours ago, Peter_ said:

Another problem: I pasted a far too large image into a file. I then shift-dragged to get the size down to what I want, but you don'y support proportional dragging to size! Everyone else does that, why not Designer?

In Preferences > Tools you have a choice of how the Move tool aspect ratio constraint work. If you set it to do not constrain by default then shift-dragging will resize proportionally; if set to constrain by default there is no need to use shift to resize proportionally. The automatic setting constrains items considered to have a 'natural' aspect ratio (like pixel layers) but not those that are not, like vector shapes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Yogi9409 said:

Why, why, why have Affinity not included the facility to make a PRINTABLE GRID?  I have to go back to the old SerifDrawPlus to make it and them import it.

You can make a printable grids using Pen Tool lines & power duplicate. Save them as Assets to reuse them in different projects.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7