You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slashed Zero OpenType feature

The 'Slashed Zero' OpenType feature doesn't work as expected in Publisher.

I can change the zero to slashed zero (where a font includes this OpenType feature) through Find and Replace and set up Format accordingly. I tried this as a last resort when selecting a range of text boxes, open Typography and 'See all available OT features' didn't work. The only way to access this feature in Typography is to select the zero I want to change. Which is useless if changing a range of appearances on a page.

Also Find and Replace is problematic as there is no option to find and change within the selected text box. It is global or nothing. So I have to copy the text boxes to a new document then run Find and Change, then copy this back to the original doc.

2 hours ago, JeremyTankard said:

Also Find and Replace is problematic as there is no option to find and change within the selected text box. It is global or nothing. So I have to copy the text boxes to a new document then run Find and Change, then copy this back to the original doc.

I too wish for this, Even better would be different text flows or selections or the whole darn document ranges.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, JeremyTankard said:

I can change the zero to slashed zero (where a font includes this OpenType feature) through Find and Replace and set up Format accordingly. I tried this as a last resort when selecting a range of text boxes, open Typography and 'See all available OT features' didn't work. The only way to access this feature in Typography is to select the zero I want to change. Which is useless if changing a range of appearances on a page.

For use throughout a document, or in large areas of a document, I suspect that the intended workflow is to use a Character or Paragraph Text Style, rather than setting features on specific characters.

If you set the Slashed Zero feature in a Character or Paragraph Text Style it would apply to any text with that Text Style assigned to it.

image.png.6c57f8f307ec3c08fdaa8e86b00c0118.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a page with several text fields. I've entered text and now wish to select all and apply various OpenType features. However, many of the features don't show up in the Typography panel. So I check the 'Show all features' and now I can see all the features that are in the font. But, many are greyed out. It appears that I can't apply features to all the text. I have to go through and select all the individual words and then apply the feature. This is hugely wrong. Please can you make it like InDesign and allow the user to blanket apply features. It seems to work for number variants (Lining, Old Style, Proportional, Tabular) so why not all other features.

I notice that I can the OT features are available if I add the glyph I want to change globally at the start of the text box. Does Affinity Publisher select what OT features to make available depending on the first line of a text box????

14 minutes ago, JeremyTankard said:

I have a page with several text fields. I've entered text and now wish to select all and apply various OpenType features. However, many of the features don't show up in the Typography panel. So I check the 'Show all features' and now I can see all the features that are in the font. But, many are greyed out. It appears that I can't apply features to all the text. I have to go through and select all the individual words and then apply the feature.

Perhaps you could enable the OpenType features in a Text Style, and apply that Text Style to your selected text? (Or enable the features in the Text Style you're already using?)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:48 PM, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you could enable the OpenType features in a Text Style, and apply that Text Style to your selected text? (Or enable the features in the Text Style you're already using?)

Really? InDesign wins on Typographic handling at the moment. Does Affinity allows for plugins? Perhaps a third party will write scripts for handling Type (and PDF)

3 hours ago, JeremyTankard said:

Does Affinity allows for plugins? Perhaps a third party will write scripts for handling Type (and PDF)

Photo has plugins, but only for image processing.

There is no scripting capability other than Photo macros.

-- Walt
PC:

This should be better in 1.8 (released today). In 1.7.x, it tries to be clever about only showing OpenType options that are relevant to the selected text, but then it only looks at the first few characters and not the whole selection. In 1.8 it defaults to always showing the option (and lets you use it), and the cleverness is in trying to show good samples.

2 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

This should be better in 1.8 (released today). In 1.7.x, it tries to be clever about only showing OpenType options that are relevant to the selected text, but then it only looks at the first few characters and not the whole selection. In 1.8 it defaults to always showing the option (and lets you use it), and the cleverness is in trying to show good samples.

Yep. Hurrah. 1.8 has fixed it!

Happy day!