You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[535] IDML Import - Document Setup issue

I've noticed that in beta 535 when opening/importing an IDML that the document setup prefs still show Prefer Embedded for resources despite all resources for those docs being linked in the ID and IDML file. Easy to change after import. Assuming a person understands that they will have to do that each time they open an IDML! Hopefully there is a way to have it so that importing an IDML sets the resosurce pref as Linked, not embedded. Even if it can't be "read" from an IDML, still seems it would preferable to hard set it to Linked since I would not think many people have created ID files with embedded resources. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

As you state there is nothing explicitly in the IDML file for us to read to set this to, so it will just be set to a default option.

We could maybe set it to whichever is used more frequently in the document, but without adding another step to the import process there will be some expectation for it to be changed if the behavior isn't initially what the user wants.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

We could maybe set it to whichever is used more frequently in the document

This smells like a preference:

When importing IDML files:

• Auto-detect embedded vs. linked
  • Prefer linked unless all images in the existing document are embedded
  • Always prefer embedded
  • Always prefer linked
  • Embed all images upon import

4 hours ago, Jon P said:

As you state there is nothing explicitly in the IDML file for us to read to set this to, so it will just be set to a default option.

If it's not in the IDML, then, yes, be great to have an Pref to set for IDML imports. I've learned to reset the option, but other users may not be aware of this and start adding a bunch of resources to an imported IDML without realizing they are being embedded.

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.