You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Howdy,

I've been away from AfPub for some time, unfortunately. How soon we forget. :-(  What I'm trying to do now is put a very long text document into printable form. I have it set up as facing pages in which the pages are 5-1/2 x 8-1/2. This is not that difficult to set up. What's giving me problems is setting up the text continuation between paper pages. The very first printed page is the right side of the first sheet of paper. Then it continues to the left side of the second sheet of paper, then the right side of the same sheet of paper, then the left of the next sheet etc. How do I set up the continuation into the left sides of the sheets of paper? I can't figure out how to close the link that has the document text going from right to left of the next sheet of paper. It won't work to have the right side of a page continue to the left side of the same page, it needs to drop to a new paper page. :-P

James

When you create a document with facing pages, by default you will have get a Master Page which has a left side and a right side. You also get 1 page, again, by default, on the right.

Draw a Text Frame on the left half of the Master Page. Click on the blue linking triangle on the lower right side of that frame. Then draw a Text Frame on the right half of the Master Page.

The two Text Frames will be linked so text can flow between them.

Insert your text (Place, or paste) into the text frame on document page 1. Shift-click on the red linking triangle on the lower right of the text frame. Publisher will then create as many pages as needed, with the text properly flowing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi there Walt,

Thank you for your rapid reply and understanding of my none-too-clear question. I have not yet been able to get what I am after, not exactly, I put this down to my general state of newbie-hood not getting the layout correctly. I believe the text continuation is working well. I now get a single 5x7 text page printing out in the middle of a sheet of A4 paper. I'm not sure if I was clear that I want to print on both sides of the paper This is for a bookbinding project for which I need to test my page layout skills. Hopefully I can print out A4 pages that are folded once along the short axis, and then sewn together along the fold.

James

How it prints will depend on the printing options you choose, and what your printer supports. Both double-sided and N-Up printing are possible, and it sounds like you will want to use both. N-Up would allow you to put two facing pages on one side of a single sheet, and double-sided printing would allow you to have the next two pages on the other side of the sheet.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

29 minutes ago, JamesCanning said:

I am really a newbie and shy about it :-/

There is no reason to be shy about it. Every one of us started off as a newbie, & even very experienced longtime users sometimes need help with things they have never tried before.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You're welcome, James. And as R C-R said, everyone starts off new and uncertain about how things work :)

-- Walt
PC:

Part of the reason I asked about text flow was that I am trying to figure out how to handle signatures as they call them in bookbinding. I have settled on number of pages per signature and I can put them together fine when they are blank. But when they need to have a text content sequentially correct, the printing becomes really tough. Maybe something like print the signatures as N-page booklets? I've been researching this and it seems to be quite difficult to get right. Affinity Publisher may not be able to help much, I don't know yet. Anyone out there with a bit of experience?

James

If you are doing the signatures, sewing them together and the binding etc., then I would recommend obtaining an imposition software that handles both signatures and creep. This way you just output a pdf in normal reading order, open the pdf in the imposition software and set your parameters, and then finally it creates the pdf you'll use for printing.

The learning curve for an imposition software is far less than the manual method.

Mike

One way to visualise 8- and 16-page signatures is to get a sheet of paper, fold it to the configuration of the signature and then write the folios on in the correct order and orientation. Unfold the 'signature' to get the layout of the pages on the printed sheet. Before unfolding, underline 1, 6, 8, 9 and 11 so you get the orientation right (I forgot 11 before taking the pics O.o).

IMG_1475.thumb.jpeg.8aeec163c441c78d928939e9cedf10de.jpeg IMG_1476.thumb.jpeg.87105426846ac530f6d0724460112ede.jpeg IMG_1477.thumb.jpeg.a5665ce7c3529321f884dc24378f1e40.jpeg AAC30295-5383-44E0-BA1F-0A29A4553338.thumb.jpeg.b9a7f4d4d12bbd14a994a1730584cc3f.jpeg  IMG_1479.thumb.jpeg.29f6b515ed22e0e1cd89b1d6c5c503d2.jpeg

It's a bit rough and ready, but in the absence of any imposition software it got me out of a few scrapes. You'd be hard-pressed to do a 32 though.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Hey guys,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I don't know if I want to do this enough to buy imposition software. I think I'll play around with the options in Publisher for a while longer. The other suggestions mentioned here are something i will keep around and try pretty soon. This is a bit of a hobby for me. MS Word can come pretty close to what I would like to do, as my friend showed me, I think I can do as well with Publisher, maybe.

Anyway, thank you for your help!

James