You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping Fails to Produce Perfect Object Alignment

I've become aware of a problem in all Affinity apps (released versions and beta versions) where perfectly aligned edges between two rectangular shapes will leave visible hairline gaps between the two objects. Currently running the latest betas and released versions of all the Affinity apps on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6. See attachments below. 

The screenshots illustrate the problem, where I've drawn 40mm x 40mm white rectangles with no stroke, aligned horizontally, over a strongly colored ground. I used the "Page Layouts with Objects" snap preset to align the objects. I've used the Transform panel and the outline view to confirm that the objects are aligned. And yet, the colored ground clearly shows through between the supposedly aligned objects. 

Please address this bug in the next release of all three Affinity apps.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.48.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.48.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.49.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.49.45 AM.png

• Staff

This is not a problem with snapping. The objects are precisely aligned. The artefacts you can see have discussed many times before and are actually visible (to a greater or lesser extent) in all vector software (if you know how to provoke the problem) unless the renderer uses a different scanline rasteriser. Is this causing you an actual productivity problem? Usually there are many simple ways to work around the issue :) Let us know a bit more about how this is affecting you and we can try to help...

@MattP

So, this is a technical problem that no developer has an answer for?

I'll take your word on that, but, from a designer/user's point of view, one expects filled vector objects that are perfectly aligned to show no visible gap between them.

I appreciate your offer of help, but it would appear that there is nothing to be done here except for a few user hacks (e.g., extending the edges of the vector objects such that they overlap).

5 hours ago, MattP said:

Let us know a bit more about how this is affecting

5 hours ago, MattP said:

discussed many times before

Would be great that this phenomenon would be explained in the help at last to prevent that beginners are surprised, complaining and so on …

• Staff

Hi Mark Oehlschlager,
Change the units of your document to pixels temporarily and check the Transform panel again. Make sure both the width/height and X,Y coordinates of the rectangles are integer values to ensure they are aligned with the pixel grid. In those circumstances the gaps shouldn't be visible when seeing the document at 100% or multiples.

@MEB

I tried once more, paying close attention to your recommendations. Here's what I found:

When the document units are set to pixels, the width/height and X,Y coordinates of the rectangles are integer values, and they are they are aligned with the pixel grid, the gap between objects disappears. If I switch the document units back to points, the gap reappears.

So, I guess the screen draw issue is connected to document units.

Attached below is a sample AFdesign file, as well as a screenshot of my "Decimal Places for Unit Types".

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 8.00.35 PM.png

GapTestFile.afdesign

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.