You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML imported file has transparency issues

Hi all,

I'm updating an original InDesign file to include new pics and copy so opened the Idml file in Publisher and noted that there were a few discrepancies, some of which have already been noted (Corner radius for one), but I noted that the original InDesign document has a directional feather of 10mm on all the edges from the bleed inwards. This has disappeared on the imported Idml file, as has some of the other transparency attributes to fade the tiff file of rows of logos below the text to let the copy be readable. The transparency is applied to the graphic layer (tiff logos) which has a multiply of 47%, the background of the frame is a pale yellow, thus letting the image fade below the type making it appear on the yellow background. 

See the attached screenshots of the respective files. Also the InDesign Idml file.

If I open the Idml file in InDesign then all the file is there and the transparency and effects are all rendered correctly which is what I would expect.

To the most part Publisher does a good job of rendering the file. It is the effects and transparency which I think it struggles with.

Hope this helps to increase the usability of the idml import, especially as I want to drop InDesign etc!

Steve.

Original InDesign Screenshot.png

Publisher Screenshot.png

Catalogue Sales Flyer A4-2018-19-v4.idml

Hi Gabe,

I've uploaded the collected InDesign document, the zipped folder has all you need including .indd and .imdl files along with a pdf.

The InDesign version used is 14.0.2 (2019) not the latest which I haven't installed yet. (I'm trying to get rid of the Adobe rentware!)

I know this is a long shot, but would Affinity Publisher ever be able to write IDML files. I only ask because in some circumstances if you're working with an outside agency/studio they often want the files you have created/updated back in a form they can use. i.e. if your client wants to amend the files in house, they would need either .indd or .idml files.

Hope the files are useful for you. It's amazing what you have done with the .idml import already!

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I used InDesign for years and often used a technique of merging image frames together on seperate layers by directional fading of image frames. This so I could text over faded out sides of an image. How do I do this in Afinity publisher?

Keith

7 hours ago, Keith Banks said:

Hi, I used InDesign for years and often used a technique of merging image frames together on seperate layers by directional fading of image frames. This so I could text over faded out sides of an image. How do I do this in Afinity publisher?

If you mean the gradient feather then Publisher does not have this feature.

Gradient feathering in ID is a VERY useful feature and I also DEARLY wish we could have this in APub. We have a bunch of ID files that have this as part of the layout and from experience it cannot be imported into APub since it isn't supported yet. Hopefully it can be added.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

32 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Hopefully it can be added.

10 hours ago, Keith Banks said:

How do I do this in Afinity publisher?

Will the Transparency Tool in Publisher not do the trick for you?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

ID has an Effect called Directional Feather that isn't available in APub, nor is it imported correctly AFAIK. Been a requested feature for quite some time since it is a common effect used in ID.

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.32.00 PM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.