You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Толку се подобруваат што не би имал ништо против да ти станам сосед. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Just starting to dream here: It would be GREAT if I could import all my CDR clipart (several DVDs and CDs from version 11 to x6) and save them as .affinity files with a script or macro …

Yes, Jens. I asked for that few posts before. :)

+1

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Affinity mods...

Is anyone at Serif able to provide an insight into whether you intend to add a .cdr (CorelDraw) import filter to AD? Like some (many?) I have a significantly sized library of CorelDraw files that I would like to import. Converting to pdf is a work around, but not entirely satisfactory: here I mean that, depending on the complexity, the workflow can be seriously impacted by virtue of the additional effort required to bring the project into a native AD  format.

I ( and I presume others judging from this thread at least) would very much appreciate an indication of Serif's intentions re. import filters. I also have a need for filters to import Autocad and Microstation files, but I'm guessing that the audience here is relatively small for these. Would be good to see though.

Many thanks.

I went thru this whole thread which spans more than a year and it seems odd that there is not one response from anyone with Serif concerning CDR files and Affinity products. It seems like a no brainer to add this support but I don't know what the difficulties might be. Still with no response after a year it doesn't look promising.

• Staff

I went thru this whole thread which spans more than a year and it seems odd that there is not one response from anyone with Serif concerning CDR files and Affinity products. It seems like a no brainer to add this support but I don't know what the difficulties might be. Still with no response after a year it doesn't look promising.

The CDR format is propriety so would make implementation very difficult. If we did have a go then I'm not sure the results would be anywhere near as good as the Export/Import PDF. 

InkScape supports CDR files, and will import CorelDraw files - up to a point. More complex artwork with clipped areas and gradients are not very well supported at all. Still, if you have a lot of black-and-white clipart in CDR format, and no access to CorelDraw, InkScape may be used to convert simpler CDR files to SVG, and then imported into Affinity.

I agree with Top Cat: proprietary native file formats will always present issues. It is just not possible (without an extraordinary amount of time and effort) to achieve perfect imports. Even SVG (an open standard!) import still is problematic at times in most applications. It is unrealistic to expect perfect imports from formats such as PSD, CDR, AI, InDesign, and so on.

The CDR format is propriety so would make implementation very difficult. If we did have a go then I'm not sure the results would be anywhere near as good as the Export/Import PDF. 

Can somebody explain why it can be difficult to be implemented in AD when InkScape does it without (any) problem?

Can somebody explain why it can be difficult to be implemented in AD when InkScape does it without (any) problem?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, InkScape's CDR import is not perfect at all. For simpler files it works well, but for more complex artwork it fails to import all the elements correctly.

Having said that, the Affinity devs could probably just take that part of InkScape, and implement it in their software. It is, after all, open source. Even if only 50% of files can be loaded directly, it will be a workflow speedup.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried some of those batch converters to PDF?

AD seems to import PDFs quite nicely, so it might be an workaround option.

I just installed and tried one of those converters and got crap.. however, it does not mean that there is none that works.

First an apology to all those people in the other world (windows Corel)  to whom I have been evangelising about AD ... they must be getting bored... 

I (unfortunately) am still running Corel in Parallels because of on thing and only one thing... the non movable zero point in AD ... IF I could bring it up to a corner, or a guideline intersection ... I would be in 7th heaven ... I do a lot of designs that require plans and I do need that ability to measure walls panels etc

IF you added importing CDR files to AD ... well give me an address and I will send you my first born...  At the moment I have about 1.5 TB of CDRs some going back to version7 or 8 (I updated all my 4 files some years ago)

While your lolling about... relaxing and basking in the glory of creating AD & AP ( I am kidding) when is Publisher raising its head?... and finally IF you make a 3 D animation program... I will send a kidney...

To all at Affinity ... Thanks for your work and thoughtful designing

cheers

... and finally IF you make a 3 D animation program... I will send a kidney...

What would be the point? The 3d animation market is already saturated with a long list of incredibly capable software: Max, Maya, Blender, Modo, Lightwave, FormZ, Houdini, EIAS, Shade 3D, etc. And aside from these many other lower level applications exist.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use PDF/X-3 export to get a 1:1 copy of your layout from CorelDraw to Affintiy Designer. But there is still some cleanup work after the file is imported, like e.g. ungrouping elements etc.

But I think it does a good shop as long as there is no real import filter. For details about the settings used, see  here (german): http://marketmix.com/de/von-coreldraw-zu-affinitydesigner-und-zurueck/

I wonder if Affinity Designer fro Windows will push an CorelDraw Import filter for both versions ?

• 1 month later...

+1 on the .CDR import

I frequently get files supplied in CDR and I have to take them to my budget corner printer and ask him to convert them for me. Please protect me from standing around listening to his sarcastic comments about my choice in "superior" Mac platforms and Adobe software that can't do what his second-hand PC hooked up to a vinyl cutter can do.

Actually, I think CDR support is going to protect him more than me because next time I go I might not be so restrained. Can I claim code-rage if I beat my printer senseless with his own pc tower or strangle him with his $4 logitec mouse that he also boasts about? (yes, that was a play upon road-rage... well spotted)