You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke width changes when pasting in group

When you paste a group of vector objects copied from one document into a document of a different resolution, the stroke on those objects does not scale in the same way as if you paste the same objects not in a group. Here is a recipe to demonstrate:

1. Open the file stroke_scale_test.afdesign in Designer. You will see a simple document with a star and a line, each with a 2pt stroke.
  2. Copy the group titled "copy this group", which contains those two objects.
  3. In Publisher, create a new document with the A4 preset.
  4. Paste those two objects.
    Result A: The stroke is now .5 pt, and the stroke is visibly thinner relative to the size of the object.
  5. Go back to the Designer document. This time instead of copying the group, select both of the objects inside the group and copy those.
  6. Paste those two objects in Publisher somewhere near the first result (to visually compare).
    Result B: The stroke is still 2pt, and the stroke relative to the size of the object seems to match the original.

Here are a few observations that I believe are relevant

• The source document in Designer and the new document in Publisher have a different resolution (72dpi vs 300).
  • The objects themselves have the stroke attribute "Scale with object" unchecked.
  • The steps can also be repeated with Publisher alone when pasting between two documents of different resolutions.

However you choose to respect the "Scale with object" attribute when pasting between documents of different resolutions, I would still expect it to behave the same way whether copied in a group or outside of one.

I tested on macOS 10.14.6 with Designer 1.7.3, Publisher 1.7.3 and Publisher beta 1.8.0.535.

Thanks to @gafvert for his own helpful observations in another post:

stroke_scale_test.afdesign

8 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Stroke width changes when pasting(...) into a document of a different resolution, (...)

This issue feels related to that one which got solved in Beta 1.8.0.499:

Whereas this unexpected stroke behavior in low resolution documents still seems to happen – and/but is known:

... or possibly even that:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:29 AM, thomaso said:

This issue feels related to that one which got solved in Beta 1.8.0.499:

Yeah, at the core it feels like this is a more generic issue with converting between different units and DPI resolutions (between different documents or when changing the resolution), where different properties scale inconsistently (for example the stroke, corner rounding and size of a shape may scale differently). The stroke width case was the first I encountered, and that was quite easy to get around with the "scale with object" setting for stroke.

However, I also encountered the problem with absolute size corner rounds, and also drop shadow radius and offset being scaled incorrectly when set to pixel values in one document and then pasted into another document with a different DPI setting. And there the only way I found to get around the problem was to set both documents to the same DPI setting (and sue the same units for safety), which unfortunately also meant I had change the rounds and shadows as they changed when I changed the DPI. Hope this is fixed in v1.8. And I hope we get to use it soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this issue might be related to this fix in 584:

4 hours ago, AdamW said:

General
[...]
Scale shape absolute sizes when document DPI changes

I suppose it was not related after all, but in case it was, please take note that the original steps still reproduce the issue in Publisher 1.8.0.584 as originally described.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is still an issue with Affinity Designer 1.10.4 running on MacOS Monterey 12.0.1. Is there any update on a timeline for this? Is it being actively looked into or still in a backlog? 

Edit: I found a potential workaround. Save the vector image you want to copy to a file then import/place the vector file into the new file. From limited trials, this appears to preserve the line weights and other metadata. Not an ideal solution but faster in my case than trying to resize all lines.  

Edited by trpote
adding a workaround to the bug

• 3 months later...

This issue affects me a lot and I'd like to put a major vote in for a resolution with the developers.

The good news is that this thread helped me a whole bunch because I found the issue only repeats when the resolution is different between the two documents.  So thank you to the original posters as this is a huge saver!

But... this issue should be fixed.  Place indeed did work for me but I need to keep the artwork in vector form and editable between the documents.  Just for the developers to understand my issue, here's some images to see...

My drawings has a lot of thickness variation in the linework and the pasted drawings look very little like the original drawings:

1028793714_ScreenShot2022-03-24at6_30_05AM.thumb.png.fd83555edeea8c67835578e2d7488200.png

(Original Left, Copy/Paste Right)

Detail:

1365946662_ScreenShot2022-03-24at6_34_54AM.thumb.png.4d6302496f652e902855774fab3ad5a5.png

(Original Left, Copy/Paste Right)

• 1 month later...

It's still a bug in Affinity Designer. Please fix it. The solution for me was to ungroup from the first document and paste into the second, but my drawing was simple, i.e. one group but not acceptable overall for more complicated drawings. I have not encountered this before as far as I remember. It's not a feature I need. (MACOS 10.15.7, Affinity 1.10.5).