You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel line on the edge of images

LizBrown

Hello,

I'm creating seamless repeat patterns in Affinity Designer and I've noticed that when I export the pattern square from Affinity to any other program, there is a 1 pixel wide semi-transparent line around the repeat square.  I've tried all file types, and still see the line each time.  When you put the two pattern blocks beside each other to create a repeat pattern, there is a light colored line between them.  You can see what I mean in the attached screenshot.  You can easily re-create this issue by creating a square artboard, putting a rectangle on it that is the exact size of the artboard, then export the file to any other program and zoom in to the edge of the file.  The same thing happens if you open the file in Affinity too (see screenshot that shows the fine white line in between pattern blocks).

Has anyone found a workaround for this?  Thanks for your help!

IMG_9915.thumb.PNG.d9055037cfbd4f37e599d5107b89b9f8.PNG578871042_ScreenShot2020-01-24at9_37_09AM.thumb.png.3c0facce25de1ee591ce8154b7adf18a.png

Hi Gabe, I always do 2000 x 2000 pixels for dimensions and 0, 0 for position, but still get the pixel line on that object, which is the background square for the pattern.  The line also occurs on the objects that are on the edge of the canvas though, and those go totally off the canvas and still get a pixel line at the art board borders when I export it.  So it’s like the art board border is creating the line on objects.

ED5F7EDB-9A05-4915-81BD-6D02E9DA23D3.png

Don't use Export, use File > Save.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry. Didn't notice this was an iPad topic.

Still, you can't use Export. There must be a Save function somewhere :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, lizkohlerbrown said:

I’m not seeing that option on the iPad app.

Tap on the Document icon and choose the ‘Save a Copy’ option from the menu that appears. Select a convenient location from the next screen.

29BBF117-926C-401F-AFCD-914417C632F6.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@LizBrown if you wish to reduce the risk of losing files, I'd recommend always saving a copy when starting a file. Initially your files exist only in the apps sandboxed memory and are relatively inaccessible. A glitch in the app and your file is no longer accessible. 
Saving a Copy creates an .afdesign file that can be accessed, copied, moved, backed up etc. After saving a copy, close original file, on the Project/Home screen tap the 3 bars next to the files icon and tap delete. This removes the initial sandboxed version. Now use Open from Cloud and navigate to the file you previously saved and open that file. You will now be working on the .afdesign file with the apps sandbox version 'linked' to the .afdesign file. When you save you will now automatically update the .afdesign file. Also, checking in the Document menu on the files workscreen you will now see a Save option (in addition to Save a Copy), so you can do incremental saves from the workscreen. Now when you tap on the icon on the Project screen to edit the file, those edits will be saved back to your .afdesign file. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi Gabe, Yes the first post image shows how you can see the line.  The line is only visible after you export the file.  It doesn't exist on the original repeat block.  So first, export the repeat block (any flattened file type like png, jpg, pdf, etc.) then open a new document and place the exported repeat block file on the canvas.  Then duplicate that block so that the two repeat blocks are beside each other (this is how a seamless repeat is put together on fabric, wallpaper, etc.).  There will be a fine semi-transparent line between the two blocks.  So if you uploaded this repeat block (regardless of the file type) to a site like Spoonflower, Society6, etc or sent it to a client who requested a flattened image, it wouldn't print correctly because there is a line between the repeat blocks.

• Staff

Again, no there are no transparent problems on my end. The blue line is the seam between the 2 files. Are the new placed images on integer values? Can you attach a document where you see the transparent edge? Also, make sure you preview your work at 100%, otherwise, you might see a hairline where the 2 images snap to each other, but it should only be a display artefact, and not make it into the export. 

IMG_5F8753D12DC1-1.jpeg

Hi Gabe, Here is a document where I put four .png versions of the repeat block beside each other.  Beside the blue line showing the squares, there is a semi transparent line.  You have to zoom into the pixel level to see it, but it is enough to show up on prints.  What file type did you use in your screenshot example?  Maybe that is the type I need to use?  Also when you go to file-> Export, are you adjusting any of the settings on that page?  I've always used the defaults but maybe I'm missing something on that page. 

Untitled.afdesign

@LizBrown The squares in your file don’t appear to be perfectly aligned with canvas. I have attached an adjusted file with squares repositioned. See if you have same issue with this one.  I changed snapping setting to move by whole pixel but I’m not sure if these settings are remembered by saved files. When zooming using fingers make sure you don’t have move tool selected as you may inadvertently move a selection.

adjustedUntitled.afdesign

1BFABE4C-07ED-4591-8317-15B9F4DFAF2F.jpeg

4C0F6D3A-5527-4C64-B8FF-6E4E96DAE9DE.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 years later...

Thank you everyone from the future. In my particular case, the problem was linked to the incorrectly positioned mask under the image, repositioning it as advised above fixed it instantly.