You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yeah, setting the black and white point is critical for anyone wanting to PRINT especially photographers making fine art inkjet (archival pigment) prints.If this feature existed in AF I would ditch PS for good in my lab. But at this point, without the ability to properly set WP and BP by the numbers, it's not possible to maintain a professional digital print workflow. PLEASE get this sorted out. :) SOON?

Another user moving from PS after a number of years restoring water damaged and color shifted images.

Being able to find the location and set accurate white, black and midtone points was an essential part of the process, made even more useful by being able to set the white picker to less than 255 and the black above 0. This gave a safety margin should it be necessary during the rest of the restore, reducing the risk of accidental clipping.

Another vote for it or a simple equivalent addition to AP

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't agreee more, all three (white/black/midgrey dropper)   are essential tools that I would expect AP to have, I use them all the time in PS, both for photographic images and for scanned illustrations, like line sketches. They are invaluable and it's missing features like this that stops me from abandoning Adobe and PS.

• 1 year later...

Another two years down the line - I bought Photo v2 and still there's no picker to set white and black. Affinity's ethos (with Photo Publisher and Designer) is clearly to de-monopolise Adobe and take a market share from Photoshop Illustrator and InDesign but when professionals have to Google just about every single new task, it's very frustrating. I get the impression Affinity designers have spent too much time in the world of Linux where manipulating software is the challenge and bending it to your will is the achievement. We ex-Photoshop users want developers who help us to create images and documents. The endless puzzle of how to do things with Affinity Photo doesn't interest us.

There are still so many bugs in the UI - annoying little things like having to click twice to activate a dialog, or typing in a value only to have the first digit ignored. Most of the tool icons are meaningless, jpg compression is so poor, native file sizes are so big, why can't I simply open a jpg edit it and close with a save? Why can't I batch save images as WEBP? I cannot move from the Develop Persona to Edit without committing the changes - and yet I can hit Undo when back to Edit - it's just clunky geeky sloppy stuff that smells of Linux.

We all hate Adobe and their monopolistic dictatorial empire, I think we all want to love Affinity but jeez it's really not working out for me. I could never recommend this to any of my clients.

2 hours ago, JEH said:

Another two years down the line - I bought Photo v2 and still there's no picker to set white and black. Affinity's ethos (with Photo Publisher and Designer) is clearly to de-monopolise Adobe and take a market share from Photoshop Illustrator and InDesign but when professionals have to Google just about every single new task, it's very frustrating. I get the impression Affinity designers have spent too much time in the world of Linux where manipulating software is the challenge and bending it to your will is the achievement. We ex-Photoshop users want developers who help us to create images and documents. The endless puzzle of how to do things with Affinity Photo doesn't interest us.

There are still so many bugs in the UI - annoying little things like having to click twice to activate a dialog, or typing in a value only to have the first digit ignored. Most of the tool icons are meaningless, jpg compression is so poor, native file sizes are so big, why can't I simply open a jpg edit it and close with a save? Why can't I batch save images as WEBP? I cannot move from the Develop Persona to Edit without committing the changes - and yet I can hit Undo when back to Edit - it's just clunky geeky sloppy stuff that smells of Linux.

We all hate Adobe and their monopolistic dictatorial empire, I think we all want to love Affinity but jeez it's really not working out for me. I could never recommend this to any of my clients.

I absolutely love your post and wish I could click like on it multiple times. Your sentiments parallel mine exactly. However, I have pretty much given up on the developer. I’ve been in this form for years and have been ignored all that time. They couldn’t care less what we think. That’s why I’m not going to buy version two or any future version, and I’m going to stop recommending it to everyone, at least until the time they get rid of their executive management and bring in people who know how to run a company, who care about customers, and who add important features to help countless people get off the Adobe addiction.

Features are paramount, but specifically the features that we paying customers request, not merely the frivolous features that the developer thinks we might like. There’s a fundamental difference.

But for those of you still willing to fight the developer in hopes of a better day, I will back you every time I see your great posts here. Bravo!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's now been 8 years.

Does anyone know if they managed to get this simple feature implemented in V2 yet? I've given up on V1, and I've never used it once in the 3 years since my purchase of the full package, since I found out there was no setting the white point.

Oh, you could use this "workaround" of course, if you have a ton of extra time to burn 🙄 

Just to be clear, I'm not posting this video as a solution, but as an example of how painful it is to have to resort to clunky workarounds just to get something as simple as this done.

Let me know when white point setting is implemented in V2, and I *might* consider buying it. Until then, no thank you. So frustrating.