You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - lines around images exported to pdf

Multi-page document with images on each. When exported to PDF some pages have grey fine lines around the edges of the image within the page. 

When I click on the image, stroke is 0. Line and Fill colour are white/non print.

With preview on you cant see the lines unless you zoom in, then you can briefly see them, then they go?

IF I copy and paste a whole page with the problem into a new document, the problem goes away.

Did a search on the forum, but couldn't see anything. Any suggestions gratefully received...

Thanks

Slightly frustrated ex indesign user!

Can you embed the images in the Publisher document please? All I can say for now, the lines won't print (at least on my printer) and the lines vanish in Acrobat Pro when you turn off anti-aliasing / smoothing vectors and bitmaps in Acrobat preferences.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, m@t11m5 said:

I've embedded the files this time.

No, you linked them. ;) Visit the Resource Manager and make them embedded.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 10 months later...

I had similar problems with exported pdf in affinity photo. What i did was to export it as high res tiff first and then print to pdf using free foxit reader. The export to tiff does not allow those grey lines in the exported tiff file and since tiff is printed to pdf the resulting pdf file is free of those. Cheers.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I had the same issue with a business card with an image. I found that when I set Rasterize to Nothing my image disappeared in the PDF but when I set it everything it then produced a PDF without any lines. All was good. this is in version 2 of AP

• 8 months later...

Hi @emlin_23 and welcome to the forum,

Would you be able to upload your Affinity file, even if just the individual page causing the issue, so we can take a look at what might be going on here?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @emlin_23,

Thanks for your file...

I'm not sure I understand the logic of why you want to export to PDF using rasterise nothing when your illustrations are raster-based images. Using Unsupported Properties will keep your text elements in vector format but your illustrations will always be rasterised since the source images are all raster-based.

Could you let us know the logic for selecting rasterise nothing in terms of what you're expecting from the exported PDF.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

@Hangman I tried rasterizing nothing because that's what someone earlier on this thread said was the solution to removing the gray crop lines. But as you say, it really doesn't make sense for what I'm doing, so I'm back to square 1 in terms of finding a solution for how to remove the gray lines without messing anything else up - so I'm sticking to the rasterize unsupported properties export setting. 

I did figure out a way to remove the gray lines but it's a bit involved. I've outlined my steps below. I'll be using this program a lot more for similar stuff though so if there's a more straightforward way to removing the gray crop lines when exporting to pdf that would be excellent to find out.

1. In affinity photo, auto white balance for the image in question

2. Click on flood select tool. Find the right tolerance to catch all subject matter and just select the white area

3. Flood select the white area next to where the gray line appears 

4. Press delete (nothing happens visually but once I export to pdf again the gray lines have disappeared).

Edited by emlin_23