You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste vector graphics as image/embedded like placed graphics

Hello,

When you paste in vector graphics into Publisher (in my case storyboard UI layout illustrations) they end up as groups of graphic objects you can select and edit individually in publisher, with individual little text boxes for the text and snapping for each one. However, when you use Place instead and place the same graphics from file you get it as a static layer like an image, where you don't get all the individual little object until you double-click the object.

I would like the option to paste in vector graphics and have them work/act like "placed" graphics, since I don't usually want to edit them any more in Publisher, and it more of an annoyance with all the cluttery objects they create. However, I haven't found any way to either paste the graphics as a static image/embedded layer or convert an existing group in Publisher to such an embedded image type layer. I've tried using the picture frame tool and then pasting vector graphics into the frame using "Paste as content", but that doesn't seem to work properly for pasted vector graphics and doesn't get rid of the individual object text frames etc.

Perhaps I've missed something and this can already be done in some way? Otherwise it would really help make my workflow in Publisher smoother and my documents much cleaner and less cluttered.

Hello, yes, I know I could save the illustration as a separate file and then place it. But that's a lot of extra work compared to using just a single Designer file where I have all my illustrations for a document, and then being able to copy/paste them into Publisher. And rasterizing vector graphics seems like such a waste, and will either bring up the file size a lot or reduce the quality.

Working further with this I've also run into some problems with stroke widths that are related to this. It seems like when pasting in vector graphics from Affinity Designer into Publisher the stroke width of objects are sometimes scaled when you paste them into Publisher (if you group the graphics in Designer before copying), and other times some strokes don't scale when you scale the group in Publisher. These are also problems I'd like to avoid by being able to paste the graphics in as a static image type layer, when stroke is always scaled with the image and it's just considered one object.

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

These are currently the approaches for what you want.

True, but this is the Feedback forum, and gafvert is asking for a change to the way Publisher works :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, gafvert said:

It seems like when pasting in vector graphics from Affinity Designer into Publisher the stroke width of objects are sometimes scaled when you paste them into Publisher (if you group the graphics in Designer before copying), and other times some strokes don't scale when you scale the group in Publisher.

I had that problem a few days ago. That is tangent to this discussion, bud it seems like a valid case for a new bug post.

6 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I had that problem a few days ago. That is tangent to this discussion, bud it seems like a valid case for a new bug post.

Perhaps. I wasn't able to reproduce it though using just simple shapes in a new document, so I'm not sure exactly under what circumstances it's triggered.

I also found a way to get around the problems with stroke scaling for my situation:
- First in Designer I group the graphics I want to copy into Publisher.
- Then select the group and in the Stroke panel there's a check box "Scale with object" that I check for the group.
- Then copy and paste it into Publisher and the stroke isn't scaled (and it also scales the stroke if I scale the group like I want to in Publisher).

Your observations helped me narrow down the issue, which I have now posted in a bug report. The summary of the issue is that the stroke on the copied objects is scaled differently whether you copy the objects themselves or copy the group that contains the objects.

Your workaround is indeed one solution, and another is to make sure the original document and the new document match resolution.