You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, bobgraphics said:

I am a Publisher Newbie, and I am hunting for the exact location of the  paragraph Line Spacing parameter.  I've read a few posts on the matter, but they aren't clear to me.

Basically I am trying to implement a 1.5 line spacing.

Thanks,

Bob

This is why I always use 'Exact' leading. I will frequently use 11pts on 12. So if you wanted to modify my Paragraph style you would use 11pts on 18 (12*1.5) or 16.5 (11 * 1.5). Let the debate ensue as to what a line's depth is.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

OK, I see the reply from old Bruce, but I am not sure what he is saying to do.  I am a bit confused about the recommended procedure.  Can you be more specific?

I believe I understand that you are using a line spacing for a different text size, is that correct?  If so, how is that obtained?

Like the original poster, I have been searching for an actual setting to specify that spacing, and have not found one.   I found the spacing between paragraphs just fine, but line spacing seems to be missing or very well hidden.

Unfortunately, there seems also to be no search function in the help.  And nothing on line spacing seems to be there anyhow.

Thanks for any help.

Paragraph Leading is mainly controlled in the Paragraph panel or via the context toolbar (same function)

By selecting Multiple and 1.5 you can achieve what you initially ask about, that is setting paragraphs to have 1.5 line spacing

The middle paragraph in my screenshot now has a line spacing of 1.5 

leading.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

For some reason, I cannot even get that set of options. 

When I select "paragraph", I see plenty of things but never anything about "leading".

I guess that is NOT in "publisher" and does not appear unless one has the other programs?

It is in Publisher and you don't need any other program(s)

Upload a screenshot of your Paragraph panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, JST said:

or some reason, I cannot even get that set of options. 

When I select "paragraph", I see plenty of things but never anything about "leading".

It is hidden rather well,

2013952133_ScreenShot2020-01-24at7_33_00AM.png.ec845b78323558ba523d78855e8a5d34.png

you may also be able to change it in the Text Styles tab if you have applied a Paragraph Style to the text.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

OK, got that when I selected the "multiple"option.

But, 1 is not what I want, and "1.5" is too much.

The WORST problem is that it affects ALL spacings.  Before, as well as internal.   I want the internal spacing to be one distance, and the distance between paragraphs to be another.   But they seem to be linked up.

And, I'd like better than half space increments.

1 hour ago, JST said:

OK, got that when I selected the "multiple"option.

But, 1 is not what I want, and "1.5" is too much.

The WORST problem is that it affects ALL spacings.  Before, as well as internal.   I want the internal spacing to be one distance, and the distance between paragraphs to be another.   But they seem to be linked up.

And, I'd like better than half space increments.

Are you using Paragraph Styles? I would recommend doing so. 

Set up your "1 and a half" Paragraph style and go to the Spacing section and choose Exactly, the other choices will lead to grief as they are based on individual font's measurements. Choose the height of the type on the page 11 pixels, mm, points whatever you use. Set the line spacing to 11 plus 5.5 pixels, mm, points whatever you use. you can change this 5.5 to more or less to achieve what looks good to you.

The term leading is from ancient times when I had to put a strip of lead between the rows of individual lead letters (which then got inked and had paper pressed onto them). I use the term 11 on 12 meaning 11 point type (the size of the letters) in 12 point high rows. Spacing is a much better term than leading.2137730345_ScreenShot2020-01-24at9_17_34AM.thumb.png.fc4eb19362895d780c03d78c0fb47a70.png

I think that a glossary of technical terms would be a useful addition to the present documentation for all three of the applications. It is too easy for writers of documentation aimed at new users to assume more user knowledge than they have. I fell into that trap while documenting an engineering database. I was soon 'put right' because I worked in the same office as some of our users.

That , and also a view of the screen with a pointer and description for the various dropdowns.....   I read "go to the XXXXX panel", to do something, but the name is not what I would have called it, and is not even named on-screen, so you may look at the thing itself, and not realize that is where you SHOULD be.

Affinity is not alone with that....  too easy to write the manual for folks who know how to use the program already.

I got it done, not the "right" way, but it got done, and I can mess around later getting things done the "right" way.  The next piece of literature I do I will do  with styles.  No time this time.

Thanks.  I'll probably have more stupid questions later.

Edited by JST

2 minutes ago, JST said:

got it done, not the "right" way, but it got done,

If it is done it may well be the right way. There are a lot of different ways of doing things, try and find the ones that save you the most labour, "Work with your head, not your back"

• 2 months later...

not sure if this is too late but I am also trying to adjust the gaps between paragraphs whether they are single lines or multiple lines to space things in documents.  Leading is great to adjust line spacing but it affects the paragraph as well.  I need line spacing to stay the same but just to adjust the gaps between the paragraphs.  Took some hunting but I found under PARAGRAPH / SPACING an adjustment that fits my needs perfectly.  This may be of help to you

paragraph spcing.jpg

• 1 year later...

I too am a newbie to Affinity and have a similar couple of probs with spacing.

1) Misbehaving para spacing. 

I have the body of text and would like to move the space between paras incrementally but for some reason this just isn't happening - nothing moves between paras as I increase the points and then it'll suddenly jump to a spacing I don't want, then up in larger increments. See pix below.

You can see I'm starting at 0 pts and there are no spaces between the paras. Nothing starts until I'm at 3pts when the space widens enormously. Then stays that way right up until 17pts when it suddenly jumps again!

2) Does Affinity not have those invisible word and pilcrow symbols (para spacing guide ¶ and dots between words) that don't show up in print form?

I've scoured the tutorials with no joy and I'm sure the reason will be obvious but I'm just not seeing it. sorry.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

13 minutes ago, MisterD93 said:

1) Misbehaving para spacing. 

I have the body of text and would like to move the space between paras incrementally but for some reason this just isn't happening - nothing moves between paras as I increase the points and then it'll suddenly jump to a spacing I don't want, then up in larger increments. See pix below.

You can see I'm starting at 0 pts and there are no spaces between the paras. Nothing starts until I'm at 3pts when the space widens enormously. Then stays that way right up until 17pts when it suddenly jumps again!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

For that problem, check your Baseline Grid settings, both in the Baseline Grid Manager and in the Text Frame panel. It sounds like it's enabled in one of those places, and overriding your other settings.

14 minutes ago, MisterD93 said:

2) Does Affinity not have those invisible word and pilcrow symbols (para spacing guide ¶ and dots between words) that don't show up in print form?

From the menu, Text > Show Special Characters.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

For that problem, check your Baseline Grid settings, both in the Baseline Grid Manager and in the Text Frame panel. It sounds like it's enabled in one of those places, and overriding your other settings.

From the menu, Text > Show Special Characters.

I am not worthy Walt! Yer a star! Many, MANY thanks!!