You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple strokes on text.... I can't apply them.

Usually I would say yes it should, but it doesn't. You would have to convert the text to curves, which then creates a group of curves out of that, but again you can't select the group or all inside and apply another stroke to all at once, you have to do that for each seperately then (cumbersome).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

48 minutes ago, Stitches said:

I should be able to add multiple stroke to text correct?

No, this is a limitation that baffles me.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Usually I would say yes it should, but it doesn't. You would have to convert the text to curves, which then creates a group of curves out of that, but again you can't select the group or all inside and apply another stroke to all at once, you have to do that for each seperately then (cumbersome).

@v_kyr  Thanks for the reality check. I was sure I had done this in the past but apparently I'm mistaken.

34 minutes ago, Stitches said:

@v_kyr  Thanks for the reality check. I was sure I had done this in the past but apparently I'm mistaken.

Maybe in the past via FX outline or the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi @Stitches
Another workaround would be to apply a decoration outline colour combined with FX, then duplicate that layer and change the colour and width of the FX of the underlying layer.

Hubert

Multple stroke.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• 1 month later...

Ugh.

Ran into this shortcoming today in 1.8.1.604 Beta and assumed it was a bug - but appears that it has been present for some time.

Indeed it looks as if I was the first to report it back in June 2019! (I must be getting old! Memory isn't what it used to be)

Affinity team, can we please have clarification as to whether this is a bug, or a limitation?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Hi @Aammppaa, it has not been implemented yet. There is a way to achieve what you want by using compounds, the attached was just some artistic text and a rounded rectangle that had no fill. I created the compound by selecting both layers then clicked Intersect while holding the opt/alt key. Select the compound layer and add your outlines in the Appearance Panel, the text remains editable.

There are a few problems in the release version with the booleans, letters A, L & M are affected but it depends on your font. I am using the latest Mac beta 1.8.2.1and it is working well. I believe that it has also been fixed in the latest Windows beta.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 09.03.07.png

• 3 years later...

Nope.

Bug is logged as afd-3342, though this particular thread isn't tagged with that identifier.

@Sean P Could you bump this with the team again please? It continues to be a disappointment that we can't have multiple strokes or fills on Text, 4 years after I pointed out the shortcoming.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro