You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Bug] Rich Text / hyperlink formatting

Aut

Hello, this is a fantastic piece of software and it's been a joy to use so far. However, one large frustration I have is handling formatted text content from other places.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Copy text from a webpage, an existing PDF, RTF, Microsoft Word / Apple Pages / Google Docs document
  2. Paste into a text box inside Publisher

or

1. Copy text from witthin a text box inside Publisher
  2. Paste into a Microsoft Word / Apple Pages / Google Docs document

Expected Behaviour

• Hyperlinks are present
  • Newlines / paragraphs are preserved

Actual Behaviour

• Hyperlinks disappear
  • All newlines are formatted as paragraph breaks
Edited by Aut

Well you may have conveniently tested it on the only word processing software that it does work on.

Attached is a hyperlink in different formats. These are the results:

RTF: retains styles, no link
ODT (open document): retains styles, no link
PDF: retains font color, no link
Google Doc: no styles, no link
HTML: no styles, no link

I cannot check Word / .docx here, but given the above results, you should make sure that it isn't also just a case of the text styles that are copied.

A Hyperlink.odt

AHyperlink.html

A Hyperlink.pdf

A Hyperlink.rtf

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. I create a hyperlink and as soon as I click out of the hyperlink panel, no hyperlinks. I thought it was just me.

I believe these files were PDF's originally made in PowePoint.  Please don't tell me I haver to restart from scratch!

I'm having the same problem. I create a hyperlink and as soon as I click out of the hyperlink panel, no hyperlinks. I thought it was just me.

I believe these files were PDF's originally made in PowePoint.  Please don't tell me I haver to restart from scratch!

I could try, if you show me how to do that. (I'm a real novice on Affinity.)  Shouldn't hyperlinks show up on document in the program? and also, there must be a way to add hyperlinks to objects not just text, right?

On 3/10/2020 at 3:39 AM, Gabe said:

You can use https://tinytake.com/ - the free version gives you 5minutes for screen recording, which should me more than enough. 

I just use QuickTime Player, already included on macs (I think it is still included on new macs). In that program, you go to File->New Screen Recording. Then you can either record the whole screen, or preferably draw a rectangle around the part of the screen to record (to reduce the file size).

I could try, if you show me how to do that. (I'm a real novice on Affinity.)  Shouldn't hyperlinks show up on document in the program? and also, there must be a way to add hyperlinks to objects not just text, right?

OK, took me a while, but here's the video. apologize that there's no sound but, what I'm saying is best not recorded (just joking). After putting the hyperlinks in, I'm mentioning that I'm clicking as my pointer flits around the supposed hyperlinks ('Gordoncillo' and 'Follow me on TpT') just in case that's unclear without sound. It's worked the same with email hyperlinks, too  (that is,  not worked.)

Thanks for your help everyone.!

So, I uploaded it to your dropbox. hope this works out better than last one. ,

I don't know about the master page issue, I'm not working directly on the master page.  The words I'm trying to attach the hyperlink to (in this case on the only page in the document at the moment,)  just don't get the little 'pointy hand' indicating it's a hyperlink and don't send you anywhere.

Just in case the video doesn't work this time my steps are:

On page 1 of document: 

Go to view>studio>hyperlinks, 

the hyperlink panel comes up, I click URL as type (on top of panel),  

highlight the word on page 1 I want to create as hyperlink,

click on icon on bottom right of panel,

fill in URL in "Hyperlink Properties" pop-up window, and click,

click on word  (it gets unhighlighted and font is now blue) and check for little "pointy hand" but there is no little pointy hand , and clicking on word does absolutely nothing.

I've watched the tutorial on hyperlinks in the help dropdown and I've seen a few YouTube videos on the topic. It should work.