You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frame - auto size

Don't know if it's planed, but i think it would be good to add an auto size function to text frame, based on the text added.

So if more text is added the frame gets bigger automatically. The options would be to lock x or y direction, based on the needs.

So if this would be possible, it could be used as a footnote solution for now. The frame would be pined and would flow with the text.

And I'm shore it would come in handy for some other occasions that i cant think of right now.

Thank you

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

It's not exactly what you described but two kinds of auto-sizing text frames can be used already:

• When using the Artistic Text Tool a text frame is always adapted to its content, both vertically and horizontally.

• When using the Frame Text Tool a text frame is sort of auto-sized vertically if the red text overflow eye icon is activated. Even though this way a text is still 'overflowing' it gets entirely exported and does text wrapping – whereas e.g. alignment or snapping still relates to the real frame object dimensions.

955649446_textframeauto-size.jpg.9b205c455ef71392786e0bd7db932f67.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

22 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Artistic text doesn't have a frame, so there is nothing to adapt.

Artistic Text still has a frame and you can change the Fill and Stroke of that frame using the Text Frame panel in Publisher

Its frame is just a basic one compared to a Frames Text's frame but it still exists

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Framing ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_(social_sciences)

:ph34r:

394926190_Bildschirmfoto2020-01-27um16_44_11.jpg.71f3962d1c493290c6d96e0bdcce58c7.jpg

There might be some more unexpected terms in use for Affinity. For instance a "frameless" picture frame ...

911888522_Bildschirmfoto2020-01-27um17_05_41.jpg.1afa4fdade84482cff2e5dd3241dfeab.jpg

... or a preflight "live check" only on export, or a hidden, invisible page which gets exported as "current page" ... ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I consider those to be borders rather than frames,

The frame has a border.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 years later...