You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert layer to embedded? (AD/AP)

Hi,

At the office I do a lot of online banners in Photoshop which require a lot of variations in size. My workflow usually consists of placing and embedded image onto one of the artboards (I have about 10 artboard / PSD), converting it to a smart object, then going into the smart object and masking out the background of said product.

This a a huge time-saver in the long run. I can copy-paste the same smart object all over the place and all the things I do inside the smart object get updated on all of them. I know Designer's Symbols feature is somewhat like this, but I'd like to be able to do this in Photo since its raster tools are superior. Also when I used ~6 symbols in a single AD document with about 10 artboards, it was very unstable, meaning AD crashed frequently when I tried to modify the symbols.

My question, will Affinity Photo or Designer include something like Convert to Smart Object (I know they use nondestructive placement by default, so no need for smart object), so that we wouldn't need to create a separate AD/AP file, save that and manually place it inside the document? OR is there something similar which I do not know about?

• Staff

Hi VarrusKane,

I think the best way to do this would be the method you mentioned in your last paragraph "so that we wouldn't need to create a separate AD/AP file, save that and manually place it inside the document? " At this point in time we have no plans to add a convert to Smart Object feature however we are looking to improve our Smart Object functionality in the future.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

4 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi VarrusKane,

I think the best way to do this would be the method you mentioned in your last paragraph "so that we wouldn't need to create a separate AD/AP file, save that and manually place it inside the document? " At this point in time we have no plans to add a convert to Smart Object feature however we are looking to improve our Smart Object functionality in the future.

Thanks

C

Hi Callum,

I look forward to how you plan to improve upon it. All your software are great as is, but there will be always something to do. Thanks!